Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

CBT Therapy books?

Has anyone looked at CBT Therapy for Dummies? I was thinking of buying it to add to my library. Is it worth looking at? Can anyone recommend a good book on CBT Therapy? Cheers

I have been using "The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety" and I'd say that it was a worthwhile purchase. It helped with some things, but it's no substitute for actual CBT with a therapist. But it's good to know that if I'm having a particularly hard time I can pull the book out and feel like I'm doing something about it. I'm sure it depends on the person, though, and it could be that the book alone is enough to bring your anxiety down to a manageable level if you can stay on top of things and motivate yourself.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of book you were asking about. It's a workbook with worksheets and exercises and explanations of things like depression or emotional tolerance or strategies for dealing with panic, etc.

Thanks, yes that's what I was after. I actually purchased that one last night before I read your message from Amazon, so I'm glad you recommend it. I should get it be end of December, so I will work through it during christams break and I'm also back to seeing a therapist to guide me through some cbt again.

Been there Done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz is a really simple CBT book and kind of like a CBT for dummies as they stick to the essentials and it has helped me immensely. The TEA form exercise in it works amazingly well if you commit to them as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by tmays
    Been there Done that? Do This! by Sam Obitz is a really simple CBT book and kind of like a CBT for dummies as they stick to the essentials and it has helped me immensely. The TEA form exercise in it works amazingly well if you commit to them as I have.
    I wholeheartedly second this recommendation. The TEA form exercise has been essential to my coping and recovery

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar
    I wholeheartedly second this recommendation. The TEA form exercise has been essential to my coping and recovery
    I guess I third it then LOL. The TEA forms work so well

Thx for the back up everyone :tongue:

Easy to back up good recs that work well :mrgreen:

This is the book that helped me and the TEA forms work great if you use them!!!

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl
    This is the book that helped me and the TEA forms work great if you use them!!!
    This is on the money, but you really have to dedicate yourself to spend a few minutes on them everyday to get them to become your normal way of processing your thoughts :agree: