Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: house bound

house bound

:P hi my name is lisaive have sufferd 4 a long time with agro phobia im allways in the house my husband gets me out from time to time but id rather stop in most of the time people say to me that they would go mad stopping in 4 that 4 that lengh of time but i dont mind i feel safe at home when people come round i get very anxious going out side to me is not worth it to much stress im going to cbt now i hope they can sort me out lisaxx

Hi!

I can understand completely.

I've suffered anxiety for 6 months, the majority spent in the house worrying about going out and 'what if.'

My boyf is very supportive and I am o.k. when we go out together, but to go to the shops or out on my own is a major ordeal, strategically planned!! Indecisiveness, worry, panic, giddiness . . . . until I often decide to stay in and then I am relieved!

I was recommended a book, which I recommend to you, Claire Weekes, 'Simple Effective Treatment of Agoraphobia.' I have noticed another post on the Forum about her books on anxiety. They are a really accessible read and have been my bible throughout the months.

Em x x x

hi em82 thankyou 4 replying you feel like your the only person in the world with it i ate being told to buck up or pull yourself together i almost wish they would get it so they no what it feels like to b 1 of us i go to the shops every now on then but only on my bike so i can get there quicker i hope the cbt helps me have you had any help at all with your axiety lisa marie

hey!

i have heard cbt is VERY good so i really hope you benefit from it. i see a counsellor and am on medication but often feel like it's getting me no-where. they have recommended cbt to me but the waiting list is very long. purchased a book called 'mind over mood' by Greenberg. i have gained most knowledge and support from reading books and articles and visiting this forum. it's a relief to know that i'm not the only one feeling like i'm going crazy!

i have found it hard for friends and work to understand what's wrong with me, actually, only a limited selection of people know my problem, they seem to think by taking medication everything will be back to normal but it doesn't work like that. i would love to swap shoes with them for one day and maybe then they would understand. it's a funny world!

when do you start your cbt? please would you let me know how you get on? from what i know about cbt, it's one of the best forms of 'therapy' and focuses on anxiety, phobias and fears.

i hope you have a good day.
    Emily x x x

:P hi emily its lisa nice to hear from u again i got on to cbt by brooklands in ilkeston a lady called lorrine dyke got me on the list i waited nearly a year and a half ive had 1 session she told me caffine is the worst thing to trigger panic as well i need to cut my tea down to 2 a day then i go back and c her she also told me that she might b able to get me off my tablets anhd feeling better in 8 months they have a 85% recoverer rate thats very good out of 100%they do your problems bit by bit how long have you had anxeity attacks emily and have you got any phobias

hello lisa! how are you today?
    85% success rate is a very encouraging figure. i was also told by my doctor to cut out caffeine . . . . . . . . . i used to drink tea by the bucket load and never realised it contains the same amount of caffeine as that of a cup of coffee! apparently caffeine does make you more anxious. i now drink de-caf tea and i do feel less 'jumpy'!

i've started with panic attacks at university but they never really bothered me as they were once in a blue moon and i was able to carry on with my life. it wasn't until august 2005 when i experienced the worst panic attack and i crashed and burned. the months leading up to that experience had been very stressful and i was depressed but had ignored this and carried on as usual. it was in august that i had enough . . . . . . . . panic attacks left me with generalized anxiety disorder . . . . . . . i've been on medication for 5 months now . . . . . . . . . it has helped incredibly, early on i struggled to get out of bed without shaking and panicking . . . . . . was very scary. there are many things i dislike doing now, i feel i've changed as a person - agoraphobic, mild ocd, fear of death and illness, and large social occasions. i'm my happiest when i'm at home!!

how long have you suffered panic attacks?
    emily x x x

:P hi emily ive sufferd from panic attacks since i was 20 now im 36 so you could say 16 years off and on its a long time to go tjhrough something like this but you have to live day to day one step at a time ive been on 20mgs of citalopram ive been on these 4 2 years what anti deppesent on you onwhen i was really poorly when the depression took over i was really peed off nothing felt right 5the tablets im on now have got me through the worst off it but im still left with death phobia agrophgobia drinking phobia and tablet phobia with having the death phobias i think all the uther phobias will harm me its a very weird world we live in i think day to day is hard enough to get through on its own have you got any children emily

hi lisa.

i don't have any children. do you? my panic attacks started when i was 20, i'm 23 now, i just hope i can recover from this. i've had a walk to the shops today, my boyf gives me little pep talks before he goes to work, it puts alot of pressure on me but i was o.k. today. i worry that my anxiety will effect our relationship.

i was extremely reluctant to take medication but at one point i couldn't get out of bed for 2 weeks, for fear of everything. this was the breaking point and was recommended escitalopram. it's the drug developed after citalopram. the first 2 weeks were hell and i could have easily given up . . . . . but within 3 months i was o.k. i've been on meds for nearly 6 months and it has helped alot, although, quite rightly, it hasn't taken away my fears. it saddens me to be going through this and also reading about your struggles. i find it so unfair. it can be hard to remain positive and enjoy life when crippled with constant anxiety and worry.

i have learnt to take each day as it comes and have no expectations. i take quiet gentle steps towards recovery. i hope you can too.
    em x x x

hi emily what sort of pep talks deos your boyfriend give youit sounds like you are feling better dont let it worry you if he loves you enough hr will stay with you and help you through it all you will have your ups and downs any way through day to day to iday or to you will feel ok then any pressure you get you will feel worse yes emily i have 4 children all boys oldest 1 is nearly 18 then i have a 13 year old then twins at7 years old children seem to keep you going have you any pets emily

hello!

4 boys - i bet that's a handful but also a joy. i am the second eldest of 4 children and it's great! my boyfriends sister has 8year old twins and they are a delight! pets - i have no pets, would love a dog however space is limited in my home. my mum has a dog and i love going home to see him, he's a miniature schnauzer and a little monster!

my boyfriends pep talks are given to start my day off positively! on occasion they wind me up and remind me of what i feel i'm missing out on. he does put pressure on which makes me worse, but i know he has my best interests. the pep talks usually consist of, 'todays aim is . . . . . . . .' and he sets me a little aim . . . . . . . to go to the shops, etc, to take each step at a time and be happy in what i have achieved that day.

do you set yourself little goals for the day? - then you can be positive about what you have achieved. i am learning to be happy rather than focus on my feelings and negativity. i think that's what cbt teaches you. how's your cbt going? it's hard but take each day as it comes. the less planned and organised, the better i am. i've never been spontaneous but it seems to work!!

em x x x