Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Nothing Really

Nothing Really

I have a history of ulcers…since a kid. Anxiety/fear when it comes it hits me in the stomach. Knots up and keeps contracting. I've been sick for about a week...I don't even know anymore. I keep drinking Maalox and chewing Tums. No health insurance, no money. I don't make a good patient. When I'm sick, I get scared/phobic. I usually can control the ulcers, but with my situation I have little resources. I can just see myself in the er. I don't do er. I hate er. As a social phobic, I have to be in control of my atmosphere so I can leave if I start to panic. I'm afraid if I do end up in the er I'll panic so badly I'll end up in a psych-ward (my family's dream).

I moved in with a sibling after my life spiraled down. I knew my sibling drank. I thought some on the weekends and at gatherings. I don't drink - makes my anxiety worse. I'm the only one in the family that does not drink - they think I'm weird.

The only positive outcome of social phobia for me has been keeping my distance from possible problems. I can't handle people who drink often or especially if they do drugs - scares the jeepers out of me.

I keep secrets. If someone tells me something, I never repeat if they request. I keep things secret even if it's nothing. Being mute about situations did ruin the life I worked so hard for; a normal life without social phobia and all the panic along with it. I had made it! I still had some anxiety, but I told myself everyone has anxiety so in comparison to how I was before, little bits of anxiety here and there never escalated because I felt like a had won millions of dollars by not being subjected to the torture and cruelty of social phobia....a little shyness is ok.

The person I chose to spend the rest of my life with changed. I kept quiet. He became a person I would never associate with; or, a person you hear about and say to yourself, "Why the heck is she with that guy? She must be nuts to stay in that situation. She should have stopped seeing him after the first date"! I was with him 7.5 yrs. The last two years were a nightmare. He cut off all our friends. I had to stop all communication with loved ones. He was a monster that showed no red flags in the first five years. He was well liked by colleagues and friends. He was so charming and kind. I don't know how or why this happened and I was there. I told no one. I had to start lying to keep my situation a secret - because those were the rules. There was no way out. Calling the police was out of the question - that was rule number one - because he was finishing his residency and any negative indicator would ruin him. His perceived reputation was all that mattered. We worked at the same medical facility and kept our relationship a secret also. I was breaking. I was breaking inside. I was panicking at every noise, or what was going to happen when he came home. I had to quit my job because mentally(panic attacks) and physically I couldn't go in and I had physical marks that were too hard to hide or excuse without becoming an issue. Nowhere to hide/run....I had given him access to all of my assets and moneys....my car, checking account, savings account, my credit cards. I had been supporting him with all of his bills anyways. We were to be married and I thought (before he changed) marriage is a personal arrangement but also a business arrangement. About six months after handing over the control of my financial life to him, he started changing. I asked him if something was bothering him because he seemed so different....quiet. We stopped going out. The laughter stopped. Soon after, the nightmare began. I kept quiet. The panic was so bad...I didn't understand....did I do something?....How could this be happening? What was happening? Why did I not see this coming. What was coming? What was he planning? How long will this last? What are people thinking? I miss my loved ones...I need someone to help me, but they will get hurt if I speak. I am now a disgusting mute. All my work to escape social phobia, all those years afraid for my face to be seen but had conquered SA and liberated a form of natural/functional normalcy, all of it annihilated. What would have happened it I did call for help? That question still scares me. He would have done anything to keep his reputation polished - I still believe that. The neighbors heard him screaming at me and things breaking. They hadn't seen me for weeks, but knew I was in the house ( I wasn't allowed to leave the house). They called the police. I was so scared. I wouldn't file any reports. I lied and said I fell down the stairs. He doesn't know where I am. I pray he will not contact nor find me.

Now - living with my sibling. I love him. I worry about him. I didn't know he drank this much. Another secret. It is so crazy in this house. There is no abuse here. It's just a dead end. I have a roof over my head but nothing else. Food, clothing, transportation is null. I hate drunks. I had no idea it was this bad. The rest of the family has no idea but they drink too: how much? I guess I don’t know that either!. Everyday drinking and a lot. Passing out. Memory loss. I have no idea how he gets up for work – he does go to bed around eight pm, wakes around six-thirty am…maybe that keeps him going. Plus I do all the house work which he complains about - I don't know why..is it too clean?. His house has never been so clean and organized. He yells and argues about ridiculous things – crazy, crazy, crazy! I have to keep my jaw from not dropping when I look at him. I did have a choice to go to a safe house, but I really thought this was better and he wanted me to come. Wrong again?
    I’ve always enjoyed babysitting and helping out with his kids. Well, at least the kids like having me here. They know their Auntie loves them and won’t pass out on top of them!
    But, remember this is a secret. Oh, my stomach.
    “Embrace denial to shield the racing thoughts of fear.â€

As far as the ulcers go keep away from trigger foods since u have no insurance. Also dont od on the malox or tums it tends to make it worse. But be carefull if it gets worse u will need to go to the er or by ambulance watch out n this is icky but look for black stool it could mean ur ulcers r bleeding im sure u probally know that though. But be carefull ulcers can get serious. I had peptic bleeding ulcers...ick but dont worry im sure u would kno if something was that wrong!

When it comes 2 ur sibling and ur cleaning hes just finding sumthing to harp on thats what alcholics do. Dont take it personal really try 2 understand that its HIM not u. But if the situation does get worse u may want to look in2 a safe house.

Glad 2 hear ur a good Auntie kids r great! They really can almost make everything better. Good luck 2 u.
    BoB

soshy, thats just a shame. You're such a nice person, why do bad things always happen to the nice ones? :?

Anyway, I hope things take a turn for the better. Gotta keep that hope, huh?

Thanks Bob and Shoe -

It helped talking about what is really going on. Sorry I'm so crabby. Yeah, I know about the black stools...about three days of that, so I know it's a tad serious; but I've gone through this before.

In a way this whole thing is sorta funny. After getting out of the previous situation, I end up here. It's not as bad, but you'd think or hope it would be a place to "heal"........OH NO.....instead there's an angry drunk (especially when he's not drinking - in the morning) constantly screaming and calling everyone an idiot and other names.

It's really funny when his kids ask him about our dad. As he's holding a beer in one hand and taking whiskey shots between sips he tells them, "Your grandfather was an alcoholic and that's what killed him, 'burp'." Sometimes when I'm upstairs I hear a really loud thud and come downstairs to find him passed out fallen from the couch onto the floor snoring as if he's gasping for his last breath.

This is great material for Saturday Night Live. I just can't believe my eyes -I stand there looking at him thinking OMG and I do laugh though this is very sad. He's a big guy especially his stomach. He looks like he's ten months pregnant. Once I tried to get him up.....bad move. He startles and swings. Now I just stomp my foot on the floor and run.

I keep telling myself this is temporary and that usually gets me down from the edge of the bridge....just kidding.

He drinks three beers and one third of a fifth of whiskey everynight. I'm sure that's a lot, is it?
    He never skips a night. On the weekends it's more. He doesn't answer the phone or have people over during the week. Is that a closet drinker?

People know he drinks, but it seems like he hides how much in a way. He does have friends...they all drink too. He goes out on some weekends. I really do not know a lot about alcoholism.

Thanks for listening. I can't tell my therapist or doc regarding the drinking, cause ther're obligated to report and I don't want trouble.

Soshy, giving you Breaking News from the Irish Pub.
    Now back to panicking .

Aww Soshy! I feel terrible after reading this! I just don't know what it is. Having this type of disorder I think puts us in precarious positions sometimes. Either we are so dependant on someone, or they are dependant on us. It's scary. It sounds like the situation with your brother is not a good environment for you to be in after your last failed relationship.

I'm really glad you got out of that. That was a dangerous situation to be in, and this one could be as well for you and the kids. I don't know what you have the power to do, because financial burden can be crippling.

Okay the first step you need to take to increase your self-confidence and self-esteem is: COLOR YOUR HAIR DAMNIT!

Bridgie, you are so funny!
    I'm feeling better. My stomach is easing up. I get very cranky when my tummy acts up and I was feeling pretty depressed.

I feel better after talking about the "home" situation here. I'll figure something out. My brother is a lot older than me. I've always idolized him, and it is sad to watch him destroy himself. He was very well liked, many friends and soooo funny. Everyone wanted to be around him; plus he's good looking.

I'll be alright. I just needed to whine and wanted some attention.
    Thanks for caring.

soshy - the great gray streakier!