Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hybrid View

This doesn't seem like anxiety???? Help!!!

Okay i am 15 years old. A little after Christmas of this year my father was diagnosed with skin cancer (melanoma to be exact) That really shook me up. My family has always been extremely healthy and we've never really had any major issues. He had surgery and they got rid of all of it. I hadn't been feeling right during that whole episode and i thought that now that it was over i'd feel better. I didn't. I started having this feeling. Mainly depression, but also a feeling of helplessness. I had extremely wierd vision, especially in bright lights and outside. Then for almost a week and a half i suffered with a feeling of not being able to breathe. It was really bad. That seemed to go away. The odd vision eventually got to me and i went to see a doctor. I had all the tests done. Blood work, MRI, EKG. Nothing. They said anxiety. I couldn't agree. They put me on Prozac and Xanax (as needed for Xanax) and that helped a little bit i guess. I was officially diagnosed with panic disorder and agoraphobia. It didn't seem right. But i'm just gonna skip right to my symptoms because these are my biggest problems. 1) Vision is way off. Almost hard to focus kind of. Gets worse with exercise. Outside and bright lights make it worse. 2) Constantly light headed. My arms always feel weightless. I feel off ballance sometimes too. 3) I feel like i'm losing touch with myself. Like who i am. Why am i really here. 4) Attacks of even worse vision that i can't even begin to explain. Last for about 10 minutes off and on every 10 seconds. 5) I'm very in shape but exercise now makes me feel even lighter and like i'm going to faint. 6) If i wake up at night i feel like i'm going to die. Everything is unreal and i feel like i'm floating. 7)Floaters. 8) Biggest problem! Isn't anxiety supposed to be attacks? Not constant feelings. My vision has been off for 4 months now. I've been lightheaded for 3 months. Is it anxiety?

I am going through the same things! But I am confused though - I don't have the fear response. Just the constant dizziness. It is hard to filter all the incoming information (sound, light, etc). Mostly in Public Places.

I know how you feel. I have had anxiety do some crazy things to my body. heart palps, heat flushes thru my body, dizziness, feels like i cant breathe for 8wks now, weight loss, insomnia,vomiting, shakes, foggy mind, things seem unreal, feel like i am dying constantly, afraid of every body sensation, stress and anxiety can do horrible things to you. It is very scary. you need a support system, people that you can talk to, that have the same experiences, and family that you can talk to in the moment to help rationalize things. I hope things get better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy38 View Post
    I know how you feel. I have had anxiety do some crazy things to my body. heart palps, heat flushes thru my body, dizziness, feels like i cant breathe for 8wks now, weight loss, insomnia,vomiting, shakes, foggy mind, things seem unreal, feel like i am dying constantly, afraid of every body sensation, stress and anxiety can do horrible things to you. It is very scary. you need a support system, people that you can talk to, that have the same experiences, and family that you can talk to in the moment to help rationalize things. I hope things get better for you.
    Yep! Cindy everything you described I can relate to! And that's what makes it all crazier! Bc you think "see! Surely I DO have a heart condition- my heart was just jumping around like crazy!" But when you are anxiety free for a length of time, you look back in amazement at how powerful your mind is, and how anxiety can present itself physically w symptoms.. Grrr

me too abby ! I pretty much cant go anywhere without the awful dizziness. I hate it, its the one symptom that i definitely cant handle, anything esle i can put up with, the dizziness is just terrible though :-(
    My Daily Diaries of coping with GAD and PD: helpmetogetridofanxiety.wordpress.com

HI:

you are a case of vitamin D3 deficiency, most probably. Please take a very careful look at my Thread "The Cure ?" under Depression Forum. You will be fine-promise.

Best wishes,
    Ali

I know the original post is very old, but nobody mentioned PTSD yet (unless I missed it). The feeling of helplessness, almost the first thing mentioned, coupled with an experience during which someone very close to you nearly died, added to the fact that you felt the news itself was a big shock- all of these things can result in PTSD, which is itself a form of anxiety disorder. The first stage of PTSD can be exactly as described in the original post, especially the sense of losing who you are while being detached from "reality" for an ongoing period of time. There's also a shorter-term trauma reaction which actually goes away in a few months. I sincerely hope that, since the original poster here never returned, he/she was only experiencing the temporary kind.