Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

in awe

This is my first time to this forum and the first thread I read. I am in shock the similaries to my life. Tears poured down my face as I read. I often feal alone in this world. I'm convinced no one understands what its like being me, well other than most of you guys. I just wish I had a close friend that understood. I'm exhausted from meds and therapy that hasn't helped. Although if I didn't have my celexa, abilify, xanax and adivan I would have given up on life. Thank you to all of you for getting me, for what feels like a first. You'd think the doctors would have at least fraction of this insight ;(

I want to highlight the disorder first. Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder. In this, people have panic attacks or symptoms like this. The result of this disease is people, who are suffering from this disorder avoid public. EMDR is a possible treatment for agoraphobia.

Last edited by caera; 05-02-2012 at 01:19 AM.

what is EMDR?
    My Daily Diaries of coping with GAD and PD: helpmetogetridofanxiety.wordpress.com

Hi Schatmeisje,
    EMDR is eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. This therapy involves recalling a stressful past event and reprogramming the memory in the light of positive, self chosen belief. This therapy consist some phases by them therapist can understand what is the level of your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Schatmeisje
    what is EMDR?
    EMDR is like tearing a scab off a wound then grinding salt in it. I did it with my therapist twice and just can't do it anymore. It is supposed to work really well for people with PTSD which was my original diagnosis and I have to say it worked for a short time but then I started having awful anxiety issues which progressed into agoraphobia.
    Last edited by Rosie Walters; 04-01-2012 at 12:11 AM.

From working in the mental health field and being an anxiety sufferer myself, I can't even begin to describe the disconnect between medical practice and mental health. Medical doctors are not particularly trained in diagnosing and treating mental illnesses (unless you're a psychiatrist). It is frightening how little they actually know. I never recommend going to a medical doctor for anything mental health related. They are very quick to throw pills at you, and often times they end up not being the best medication for the patient. Always see a psychiatrist when dealing with medication if you can afford it.

Dr are not trained in Psych stuff. I had a doctor 10 years ago look at me and say nothing was wrong. He was 100% wrong. He's not used to dealing with Psych stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by caera View Post
    Hi Schatmeisje,
    EMDR is eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. This therapy involves recalling a stressful past event and reprogramming the memory in the light of positive, self chosen belief. This therapy consist some phases by them therapist can understand what is the level of your problem.

However, I noticed a typo in the post title
    www bumblebeeacres com /images/princey2.jpg
    Angoras are actually quite cute :P
    Last edited by Foamy; 06-16-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Unfortunately doctors can be rather insensitive when it comes to anxiety, on the other hand some can be incredibly helpful so if your doc falls into the insensitive/ignorant category then see a different doctor.

I have suffered periods of agorophobia in the past and at times it has lasted for several weeks to months. I disagree with people that say it is a choice to be like that but I also think that it is a choice to get better. It is incredibly difficult to work on getting help and improving especially if you are house bound but the only way to do it is to work hard, kick yourself up the backside and fight with all you have to get out there and well again. It takes guts and a lot of effort but it is possible to get over it eventually and to be honest with you it is a choice to be house bound/agorophobic in that you are choosing to let the symptoms overwhelm you so much that you choose to avoid everything and anything that may trigger them. The symptoms are very real but, as I said, it's a choice regarding how you deal with them.

Anyone who hasn't experienced this would find it very hard to empathize and understand what it's like. Like I've said before in another post... many people (including family) used to just jakingly label me as an 'airhead', and 'nuts', and their best advice they could think of was to tell me to 'stop thinking so much', or to just be with it and you'll 'come out the other side'... and the thing is my family are actually some of the nicest people I've met, so it just goes to show how hard it is for most to 'get it'

Buttercup... What you were saying about getting 'out there'... that's my experience too. But I needed to use tools to help take the edge off of it. The Panic Disorder crossed with daylight spontaneous hallucinations (Psychosis) was just too much to handle without using some tools to help me through.

Personally I found that using a tool like Mantra helped me to deal with the panic I had whilst in public, this gave me just enough of the edge off of it to put myself out there in public despite the anxiety. I would be around people until I couldn't bare it... and then disappear off to the loo or something, do some more meditation for a 2-3 mins, and then get back out there.

I also found a morning ritual of meditation followed by gratitude, and visualising myself as I wanted to be in those situations helped train my mind to let go of that habit of anxiety too.

There's lots more I did, but I think these are core things. I found using breath and body awareness including using Taiji, and Toaist Yoga invaluable for helping me to not take the thoughts and feelings flowing through too seriously. Basically I had to learn how to first transcend it... and in the end I was laughing at the thoughts and feelings because when I looked at it all impersonally for long enough, I could see how ridiculous the thoughts were.

Scary when you attach to them though!

Isn't it amazing how our minds work?

Still leaves me with a sense of wonder... most of us really don't know how powerful our minds are. But I feel coming through this is one of the single most important turning points in my life.

I'm now happier. more peaceful, and confident than I ever was before having gone through this. I wish the same for all of you. x