Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why do people think angoraphobia is a choice?

I have had psychiatrists to tell me to stop being so anxious. That is stupid. People do not choose to have anxiety. That is like telling someone who has depression to snap out of it. Or, like telling a scizophrenic to stop hallucinating. It is not like a choice.

I even had doctors who refused to treat me because they thought I was seeking "drugs". People with anxiety need anti-anxiety medicine, not an antipsychotic or an antidepressant. The only medine that helps me is anti-anxiety medicine. Why do doctors rufuse to treat this disorder?

because the sad fact is many doctors do not know what they are doing, they also many times do not even understand the medication they are handing out. They have no knowledge of the horrible withdrawal people can go through even if tappered off by them.

I also find that they do not have a clue many times about how anxiety work. I have anxiety all the time for no reason 24/7 it is not that I am always "scared" of something. I just live in a low state of anxiety and when it flares up I am not able to cope (it flares when I am upset about something).

I am not able to take medication for this and the rest of the world looks at me and says "oh you have anxiety...do you take medication?" like there is a "cure" as if medication just heals it up like an antibiotic would a sore throat caused by a bacteria.
    I am 33 years old and live in NY State.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey joshesmama,

I know what you mean! At my last visit to my doctor, he told me that I was an adult and that meant acting like one, which meant that I should go outside and into groups of people in malls at busy times (like after work, lunch time and coffee breaks), and this would cure me by making me behave like an adult.

There is a seminar conducted by the Manitoba Schizophrenic Society where you wear a Walkman with headphone and voices 'talk to you' at different intervals, while you are doing different tasks, like going outside and asking for directions, and attending a mock job interview etc.. Apparently it is HIGHLY effective in mimicking schizophrenia, and all the psychiatric nurses, and EMT/police/social workers graduating from university in Winnipeg have to attend and pass as part of their courses. Most can't finish it because it is too disturbing for them, and they go away with a whole new insight into what it's like to be a person living with this mental illness.

We need something like this for panic and anxiety, that our primary health care professionals are required to attend and pass before being able to work with patients.

I'm not holding my breath, though.
    Edward

Wow, Edward, that's really interesting. I too feel there should be something similar for anxiety issues.
    Tia

Well, Edward, it's really interesting to know that psychiatrist do that as welll. Unfortunately, too many money-minded psychiatrist are around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To look at this in a more positive light, I think they somehow THINK they can make you 'snap' out of it. Of course it's impossible to understand what someone is going through unless you experience it yourself also. It's like telling a depressed person to "cheer up." Doesn't work that way.

Anxiety is problem which can not be solved by medicine or by using any kind of pills what I think so.

I'll just suggest you in a line to perform normal exercise daily in morning time which will definitely makes you feeling fresh whole day without being tensed 8)

posting service[/url]

Agoraphobia can often lead to a change in behaviour where a person with the condition will avoid situations that may cause them anxiety.It is very complicated because everyone is different but the main thing is people do manage it and often you can get dark thoughts with anxiety which can be disturbing but if you ignore the urges to obsess over them the panic does eventually subside.The side effects these medications cause appear to be particularly strong and negative for people with anxiety disorders.

a lot of doctors are not very good at treating anxiety. However, zoloft has been a boon in my life. I cringe when I think of how messed up I was off it. I understand that benzo may seem like the best treatment, and they can be, however the rebound anxiety and depression I get from them is horrible. I even crashed a car while taking them. There are ways to manage it and ssri's can work.

Hi joshesmama,

For being so educated, doctors can be really really dumb sometimes. I have had doctors treat me like I was just looking for drugs too.

I don't know why people think anxiety is a choice. I wouldn't choose this for anything.

I think in my life, people have often thought I was being overly dramatic. Other people thought I was stuck up- it was social anxiety- I was unable to speak.

Anyhow, good post, and the replies are all interesting too.
    My
    blog.