Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benadryl?

Benadryl?

I kept reading all over the internet about how Benadryl can help during a panic attack. Well lastnight I had some Xanax in my hand, I didn't want to use it because I don't have anymore refills. Well I took 2 just regular Benadryl and it REALLY did help. It does take a little longer to take effect, but it really did help. Once about an hour and a 1/2 passed it seemed as effective as if I WAS on Xanax. Well I just felt like sharing my story.

Yeah it does work it takes a short while the first time but it takes longer the more you take it. Just don't get to reliant on it I did for sleep since it made me so sleepy. :snore:
    OlYmPiC gYmNaSt

I'm not allowed to be on anything that calms me. I habitually use allergy drugs to calm down. If a day is a complete bust, allergy meds relax you and put you right to sleep. I also use them as an alternative to Zopiclone for sleeping because Z. gets me really high and makes me do messed up stuff.

However I wouldn't recommend it too often. You end up turning to it for everything. I used to use tylenol with my citalopram to get that high fuzzy feeling but you burn out fast.

Re: Benadryl?

My P Doc is very much against any type of benzo's for anxiety/panic disorders. So, he did tell me to take a Benadryl when I start to have anxious feelings - it DOES work! Amazing all this time an over the counter medication that will help calm the anxious feelings down!

He also has me on Remeron at night and Buspar 5mg twice a day. Seems to be working!
    Nita :)

Re:Benadryl??????

Hi,

It helps some people to sleep and others it keeps awake. It's completely safe if you take it only as prescribed. Make sure you don't have important things to do the next day in case it keeps you up.

Regards,

Just FYI. I've used benedryl for years for my panic attacks. It does help and the liquid works much faster than the pills... plus you can mess with the dose easier as each teaspoon is 12.5 mg instead of 25.

Can you take Benadryl in place of Xanax if you are on Zoloft??

I also use them as an alternative to Zopiclone for sleeping because Z. gets me really high and makes me do messed up stuff.

waleeed

Hmmm it doesn't seem like terrible thing to do, but officially (in medical protocol) you should work with your doctor to take meds that work for your symptoms, and not self-medicate even if it's as benign as this.

I'm one of the rare people that doesn't feel drowsy from Benadryl, I take it during the day and it helps me lots actually and its really cheap. I buy just about anything I can at the dollar store.