Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down I finally decided to retire from video game forums...

24 September is to be my last day. After that date, thesaunderschild will be no more.

The reason behind this decision is because I feel like I need to achieve doing things away from the Internet. Because let's be honest with ourselves. The Internet is partially helpful, but I reckon it's mostly toxic, and it just makes one feel more isolated. Especially when guys like me get this Australian moron following you around, and making it hard to self-promote or even enjoy being online. But 'getting a life' is hard for me, as I have anxiety and autism, so that's not exactly a recipe for success. It also doesn't help that people gossip about me, so I cannot even be a darn film extra in any major, locally made movies anymore. And this is upsetting, because movies are my life. Both watching them and obviously, wanting to appear in them as well.

I've came to realize that gaming message boards and basically other types of online communities, are utterly pointless now. For a start, it's a chore getting users to participate, as they're mostly only active on social media. And while that could be a term for popular online services as a whole, I tend not to rope forums into that category. Well, I more so just count Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, or even Discord. There's been times where I've struggled to find any forums to get banter started these days, because of how dead they are. You can think carefully about what you are composing, but if people either don't reply or somebody behaves like a prat, it just makes you feel like you've wasted your time typing out a novel.

The really busy ones like IGN and GameFAQs are so annoying, as you just get angry, trolling responses from the members. You're just being honest, speaking your mind. You can even say that what you're posting is just a reflection of your own beliefs. Nobody should act mean over you having an opinion about the state of the Resident Evil franchise, but they do it anyway. And they'll keep on plugging these lame sequels for Capcom, because Capcom doesn't care about the OG fans, since they only focus on the fanboys that started with the overrated action heavy entries like Resident Evil 4, or onwards.

Plus, are these people who visit these gaming websites actually a full shilling? They're probably losers in person, so they just enjoy coming online, clogging up forums with flame bait, and in turn, making people feel crappy about themselves. Why rise to their nonsense? Be better than that!

But yeah. Why even believe that sort of hassle will get you anywhere? It's crazy. And I'm 35. Soon I'll be 36. Before I know it, I will be 40, then 50. So I think now is the time to let the past burn, or I'll just grow old and regret wasting my time being glued to screens.

Regards, from Peter A (aka thesaunderschild).

Are you talking about this moron from Australia? or another?

I love playing games, writing novels, being over 50, a few sandwiches short of a picnic and love taking up huge amounts of space. Well actually not the last one, but that is on other people if they wish not to post. It's annoying but I have learned not to let that stop me.

You know I just reached out in another post to you, but now wonder if that was a trigger given the wording of this post. I'll take it as a coincidence unless you would like clarify it? Fact is, there are loads of morons from Australia, just as there are from Scotland, Ireland or anywhere else in the world. Why limit it?

Thinking about how toxic this world is all over helps to alleviate thinking it's just only in one or two areas. Becomes less an issue once you start focusing on the bigger picture. That said if you start writing about that, it helps if you can teach yourself to enjoy writing books.

Thanks for the read but sorry to hear your having a hard time with it all.

I hope coming back to this forum and dumping like so was helpful? These spaces and others like them are what we make them and ultimately it is us that is responsible for the places and directions we go. Well ... I guess that is a grey area too.

Edit - here maybe this will help:
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-08-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Cool

No. Not you.

This guy...

He makes multiple accounts just to harass me, or vandalize pages on wikis or movie databases.

https://youtu.be/cFS8joVu7w0

Good to know.

Yes that can be annoying. I don't have personal experience with it but know of others who have been attacked like so on other platforms.

Have you done work on Wiki?

Unhappy

Yeah. I made a list of every top ten horror film to chart in North America since 1922 (in terms of their box office gross) and then that stalker showed up, and kept editing the same pages. He did this so if I edited them again, he would be notified through some sort of subscription. Then he closed these accounts, just to sign up more and basically repeat this process. He is inclined to enjoy behaving this way on poorly maintained sites, because he knows no one is going to quickly intervene. Or it looks as if he is just contributing normally, minus the posts he added with IP addresses belonging to proxy servers, that I know are a result of the same guy. Although these acts are committed separately from his log-in names, to try to avoid detection.

Apart from that, he kept tampering with my official IMDb filmography page and similar pages elsewhere, repeatedly mucking up my credits or adding false stuff like custom posters. He even submitted fake reviews on Internet Archive. So I had to visit the subsidary support sites for IMDb and Fandom to inform them that this twat kept mucking around.

Besides that, he made a lot of profiles on a multitude of forums, uploading pictures of people I know, and spamming troll bait to provoke a response.

He actually spammed acyberlove.com so much, the owner had to disable posting new threads by non established users, so the site is basically like a graveyard now. But this is certainly an issue with most forums online, whether trolls are affecting them or not.

Truly sucks. I know Sal on this forum has an interest in horror films and would of been really interested in that. Me too. What to do Pedro?

Now that you have been able to offload in here and share this trolling act, perhaps don't give him the reaction he is looking for and instead ...

hmmmm ... have you the desire and means to maybe sub a WordPress site for extra security and blog it instead? Or - just create space with no action for a while and then start again?

Like the places you mentioned do seem to be a better fit?

&^%$ it! It sucks when people get in the way of you doing things you love. There has to be a way?

Talking

Bogans must be quite the issue in Australia.

In Scotland, there's a lot of crazy folk as well. As there is everywhere.

It would probably make a good film.

The world has more issues than that but yea I hear ya.

I cut and past my response on that to my diary.

I hope things improve for us all soon enough ... something each of us can only work on I guess but discussions can help.
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-11-2021 at 05:32 AM.

Lightbulb

If I feel I need to still interact online, I will just do it on YouTube by donating through Super Chat. That way it's harder for these trolls to follow me around on Google. I'll just use an account for that, and keep everything private, like my subscriptions and list of liked content.

Maybe I will still very occasionally post on a forum, like if a new game is revealed. Like say Konami finally brings back Silent Hill, I will definitely want to discuss that, for example. But all of the amounting hearsay over the last few years, never brought forth anything official, and Konami hardly ever makes games now. So there is that side of you that cannot be bothered with things being dragged out by people who claim to be insiders. You feel excited, just to be hyped up over nothing.

Sometimes, I made the occasional vlog and I asked that nobody subscribe to me any more, as I tried to make them understand, that I was not intending to stick around. They were unable to take the hint, so the trolls would come back as well and cleverly hide themselves. Although at one point, I gained over 70 followers.

You basically have to talk about something that is currently trending. Talking about general stuff doesn't really get you any brownie points, because few people are interested in this type of content.

So many YouTubers have to be careful, because you need 1000 subs to get the bonuses, like broadcasting on a mobile phone. You can be restricted if you don't meet the guidelines. But in theory, you could have 400 sheep and 600 wolves as your community. So it's a bit of a rough business for people who like to do it mostly as a hobby, and would prefer not to suffer all of this creepiness and the associated hassle that comes with people unable to agree to disagree.

I've found that algorithm to be quite a depressing one. As for the game itself I can see why there would be a cult following over that one. A Psychological Horror Playthrough:

I take it this is the game you mean?

Interesting how I keep seeing Norman Reedus (walking Dead actor) in various PC/Console games of late. He does seem to have traits that fit a traveler navigating for that genre.

OR or mean this one: (seems like a popular game considering the price as in not that cheap for the age of the game? Or is appropriate given its following)
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ll_Homecoming/

I too have found myself making posts, telling others my intentions then making a request of something I don't want. Even when I would try to make others understand, in the end I could sense that somehow I had just dug a hole for myself. I understand how it is that some of us communicate like so, but as far as I can tell it does indeed make us targets' attracts trolls. Those less obvious trolls will highlight the conundrum of posting like so, as begging the question or in this case, begging for people to go against your request which is why in many cases people write like so. Given it can be a ploy for people to deal in such a manner I kind of changed the way in which I express. That said, I'm not reading you like that at all but shedding light on why sometimes such a tact can invite what we don't want. It's a merry go round to be sure and often we do in fact do these things to ourselves both consciously and subconsciously.

Hell, the algortytm of which you speak re super chat is as much ploy to the conditioned expectations of audiences demanding what content they must have and how it must be presented and so on. The bonuses and guidelines is what makes people drones, where the content whether co-created from demanding audiences or puppeted presenters winds up with barely anything that resembles original thinking. Those creators that do tend not to be tied up limiting algorithms. This is just my take. I've seen many channels change the way in which they present since super chat. But hey - I can't blame people for wanting to make a buck. Just noting how shallow its getting.

I only use Youtube like I do for hosting images and not much more. I'd love to connect with people on topics I enjoy but like you say the algorithm is brutal and I would not change who I be in order to get likes and subscribes. This hits on a topic I have wanted to write about (writing my better for me) re how society has become a very lonely place despite it's numbers bursting at the seems. So many bright shining stars out their casting long dark cold shadows kind of thing where more and more people are less able to think for themselves but fully reliant and controlled by said algorithms.

In that, people can't let go of the concept of their insensate need to agree or disagree. Hence people just say what the masses want which is dictated by something other than ourselves. YEP - it's a tricky one full of all kinds of reactions with many toxic ones. This is why that although I expect responses to my meager videos that I currently switch of the likes and comments. This is not uncommon for those just using youtube as a image hosting site ... kind of thing.

I wish you all the best with whatever you want to do. Sounds like you got a good grip on how it all works. If your interest is in something popular than maybe it's not an issue. Some people can BS better in front of the screen and do will with said algorithm. It's not for me. YouTube is nothing like it used to be BUT good for the current generation of thinking. It's not impossible to push you way in - Learning to settle for less or look at it in a different way may help. I shall only see it as a hosting site for a few online friends and family as well as a trap like Netflix and so on. Balance is key.

Link me up with your next vid. I searched and read up a little on that game. You got me interested enough to do that ... download a pick and slap on some corny text.

Keep posting in here if it helps ... if you like what you do - maybe turn off the comments, likes ... give those forums a break or even better yet have a go at making your own. Be your own presenter and audience in one go. Whatever works. Let others be as they be. If people don't want to post in here because I or others don't like what they read, then that's on them what they decide to do about that. Blaming me is not going to do jack. I'll keep on keeping as long as I decide or until the creator of this forum decided. LOL at the last one.

Creative freedom only comes when you not bound by the rules but yea - an element of respect goes a long way. I've said too much.

Back to you. Interesting dynamics to be sure.

I'm off to play - Metro 2033 Redux is on sale. hmmmm ... Think I will stick with KC2 for now.

Be careful what you request. Trolls love that kind of talk. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Ponder; 09-11-2021 at 04:15 PM.