Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Scared to go on Anxiety/Depression Medicine

I am scared to go on anxiety or depression medicine, I don't know if it's going to help or make things worse.
    Every time I have gone on these meds they have not helped me that much.
    I don't want to feel the ways I have been feeling anymore.
    I want people to stop hurting me.
    When I first made this account, I came in with the same issues although a lot of issues have improved, things are still bad and I am frustrated and scared.
    I know people and things can't change overnight.
    But I really want people and things to change overnight.
    Why do people and my family want me to suffer?
    I am sick of suffering all the time.
    What should I do?
    These meds can only do so much to help.

antidepresants do not work on me at all, I keep taking small dose of clonazepam 0.5 mg a day for the last well maybe 8 years , Anxiety and depression are two different things
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Hi, thank you for your reply, what do you mean anxiety and depression are 2 separate things?
    Does the 0.5 of Clonazepam help with both your anxiety and depression?
    I take 0.5 Ativan every other day or almost everyday.
    It does seem that antidepressants do not work on me as well.

I'm sorry for you pain greengal1909. I can't answer for anyone else. but I do have a lot of experience when it comes to both using meds and not. I've been off and on many times through my life and whilst I am currently not on any, I do have a hundred or so pills on stand by for those times every one is out destroying the world and themselves. Of course some people will claim you can't make any gains unless your on them all the time, however like you, I don't want to get into any form of resistance when reaching out on whatever topic. Therefore I choose my words as best I can.

Most mental health forums ban the asking of questions on other peoples experience re meds. Not only because it's dangerous, but also because it's akin to begging the question. like wishful thinking ... and we all do that. Building one's own case to take a leap into a place they really don't want to go. Totally understandable re the trepidation. The only way you can ever know is to live that path yourself. That's the best way to get the information with misinterpreted responses on a form re medications being quite the trap. But seeing as there is a sub section here ... you will get the responses you seek.

Whilst you are struggling with others:

1. You do acknowledge improvement.
    2. You do understand things don't change overnight
    3. & you acknowledge your own resistance

That last one is probably why you can see improvement.

You've got some strength there despite reaching out in terms of feeling anxious and depressed. Full credit to you - not meaning to discount those negative feelings in any way. Just hoping that you can see the best I am reading.

I view things differently than most; although often end up with much the same result. Whilst I have experienced anxiety and depression to be different states of being ... still do. I also understand well enough that they are spawn from the same source. That latter revelation is key and by it, offers a lot more longer term stability than today's typical fall back options. In the same way I don't want to dismiss pain, I mean not to dismiss their use.

The way in which you choose to see yourself is the big picture. Not the response you get in here. That's all I am meaning to say. Yep - people in general ... not just family have this inherent curse like predisposition that we ourselves cannot change. The only person we can change is ourselves. This coming from someone that whilst knowing that concept to be on par with himself, is forever banging his head against the wall when sitting to much with my desire for a better end, as opposed to making changes for myself.

Procrastination is spawn from the exhaustion of feeling so low for so long. long terms cases end up being classified as clinical - but let's not get carried away with the white wall talk.

I do apologize though as this is a clinical section of the forum. Just remember the dangers of seeking help on such dangerous substance in a place where no one is deemed a professional to which in my book, many are prejudice re the nature of today's values system and current focus of everyone living in cotton wool.

Try not to focus on those others that seemingly want you to suffer. Value yourself and put your focus into that. Most of us would suffer less if we took the time to look at life in the right way and see just how just how much we already have within.

Understand that despite all these pills used for "different" symptoms (behavioral and feeling states) can not be treated separately (isolated) as is the clinical response and now everyone else's. But do try for yourself.

Indeed - whilst anxiety and depression are said not to be the same, I find that analogy more sticks due to the focus on treating everything separately. I can tell you that while everyone looks away from the source, that their pain will not only be buried deeper, it will also come to bear more often than not in which case, new versions of the same thing are made with alternating doses.

I want the same things as others - just learning to accept as best I can is all. I still got my pills - I just don't take them as much as other because I view things differently.

Whatever I said ... I see your strength. Just roll with that.

I say it one more time ... because it's a phrase that sticks:

Most of us would suffer less if we took the time to look at life in the right way and see just how much we already have within. Hard to do when the world does not want us to discover such.

Perhaps some pills might help you deal with whatever for now ... in your own time.

Wish you the best whatever way you want to go. I feel your pain is all.

I have a daughter that constantly rings up threatening to kill herself. I make that the topic of my next post. I also feel this pain constantly as well. Many in my family do ... I don't beleive for a moment any of us deep down wants the other to suffer.

Take Care.

Disclaimer - I responded like so because questions were asked that had nothing to do with medication. Therefore some self-reflection was required in a subsection that does not deal with such thought. Sorry if any of that was uncomfortable. Generally the path to long terms healing and less suffering pretty much is. Life is. Just feels harder living in an age that fosters desire and wants.
    Last edited by Ponder; 05-31-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by greengal1909 View Post
    Hi, thank you for your reply, what do you mean anxiety and depression are 2 separate things?
    Does the 0.5 of Clonazepam help with both your anxiety and depression?
    I take 0.5 Ativan every other day or almost everyday.
    It does seem that antidepressants do not work on me as well.
    yes I found clonazepam does not make me foggy like ativan do , Clonazepam is like 16 hour life time so is better option for me, Ativan works somewhere from 3-6 hours and it is difficult to stop it, I had done it but it costed me a lot of effort. I have anxiety but was depressed maybe twice in my life , it passed eventually Many people mistake sadness (it is symptom of depression) with depression. Depression is a disease , but I do not believe meds help for it , Meditation, clean eating, exercise yes , Some people have good results from meds SRRI meds, I do not tolerate it
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Thank you Ponder, you understand me completely.

Thank you Dahlia

Greengal, it's true that psychiatric medication(s) can only do so much to help you. However, you getting on medication(s) that works well for you can be a part of what helps you get better emotionally.

Psych meds by themselves aren't going to solve all of your issues. But they can be a part of what helps you.

Greengal, if you elect to try more medications under a doctor's order or not is up to you. But either way, I hope things get better for you.
    Last edited by MainerMikeBrown; 07-13-2020 at 02:35 PM.