Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

With One Therapist I Saw, I Often Felt I Was Winning The Discussion

Back in 2000, I started seeing a psychotherapist for the first time. She specialized in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

However, working with this therapist didn't work out for me, as I didn't think she was a good counselor.

Many people with mental illness have irrational beliefs. CBT focuses on replacing those irrational beliefs with rational thinking, such as a depressed client who only sees the bad in life, or a person with extreme anxieties who worries too much and has anxieties that are out of proportion to the situation. CBT helps depressed people see the good in life, and helps those with excessive anxieties become more calm. It helps with those with other forms of mental illness as well.

The issue I had with this therapist is that, during our sessions, I'd tell her what my beliefs and issues were at the time. And when she'd give me advice to combat my negative irrational beliefs, she'd often struggle to come up with answers. It felt to me that I was winning the discussions half the time. That's a huge problem when you're seeing a CBT therapist who's job it is to convince you that that their beliefs are more rational than yours.

Thankfully after I stopped seeing this therapist, I worked with new therapists who I felt did a better job of convincing me that their beliefs are more rational than mine were back then. It made a huge difference in my life. It can help you too.

it had worked for my daughter but not for me, I have a hard time to open to anyone. My psychiatrist is trying to get me open, but I change the subject, we talk politics and history, it is nice but does not help me to solve my problems. However Mike you know I am older person and I had found that I have not patience to more bs, so I just keep grounded, and it is much better to manage my anxiety. Every night when I go to bed and do some short appreciation meditation. It stays with me for most of the day. It helps.
    I am fortunate, still managing ok physical health, I have food , awesome bed and huge house , warm and nice , So many people do not have it. This is my appreciation therapy )
    Watch out on the roads please
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore