Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Don't Be Obsessed With Fighting Your Mental Illness

Mental illness is a terrible illness.

But many people with mental illness do everything they can to help themselves, with the help of mental health professionals. I think that's great.

If you have mental illness, you want to do what you can to help yourself. Doing so greatly increases the chances that you can overcome it and recover, whether you have anxiety issues, depression, bi polar disorder, schizophrenia, or another form of mental illness.

However, in my opinion, I don't think it's a good thing to be obsessed with fighting your illness. Having it on your mind too much can be a bad thing, I believe.

Helping yourself matters when you're trying to take back your life and be happy. But don't think about your mental health issues too much.

Mental illness, the definition changes with time, Look Van Gogh was suffering with mental illness and he left us a lot of beauty. The best is stop focusing on mental illness and just be alive, /The trend in today time; to be happy is overrated
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by MainerMikeBrown View Post
    Mental illness is a terrible illness.

But many people with mental illness do everything they can to help themselves, with the help of mental health professionals. I think that's great.

If you have mental illness, you want to do what you can to help yourself. Doing so greatly increases the chances that you can overcome it and recover, whether you have anxiety issues, depression, bi polar disorder, schizophrenia, or another form of mental illness.

However, in my opinion, I don't think it's a good thing to be obsessed with fighting your illness. Having it on your mind too much can be a bad thing, I believe.

Helping yourself matters when you're trying to take back your life and be happy. But don't think about your mental health issues too much.
    I agree with you Mike. I think I make this mistake. Your advice is wise.

Thank you for posting this, I needed to read this. I'm guilty of constant fighting and resisting and wanting to be "normal" - whatever that is. Its a fight I can't win and I realize that, but still hard to recognize the pattern before I've dug myself a deep hole.

Will try to just live for the moment I guess. I can only take it day-by-day, I guess.