Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

How to fly with severe anxiety ?

Hello, I have not been on flight since 2007 and have very strong anxiety. How should I calm me down for 10 hour flight. It seems very hard. My mind races and panic if I am stuck in flight or elevator. I have to travel to see my parents.

Is Valium or lorazepam totally calm me down ? OR do I need something else.

It seems like I won't be able to travel and will be stuck at same place for rest of my life. Also I do not have any support from anybody since I started having anxiety and panic attack. Jobless and alone.

Please help. Any advise.

If the meds you have said don't help try having a couple of beers without the pills and sleep most of the flight this may help but im from Scotland we like a wee drink over here

KNP, fortunately, you won't have to settle for being stuck in the same place for the rest of your life if you get the necessary treatment for your anxieties.

Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    Hello, I have not been on flight since 2007 and have very strong anxiety. How should I calm me down for 10 hour flight. It seems very hard. My mind races and panic if I am stuck in flight or elevator. I have to travel to see my parents.

Is Valium or lorazepam totally calm me down ? OR do I need something else.

It seems like I won't be able to travel and will be stuck at same place for rest of my life. Also I do not have any support from anybody since I started having anxiety and panic attack. Jobless and alone.

Please help. Any advise.
    I hate flying too. I haven't been on medication for a while and I had to go on a flight for a wedding that I was in recently. I was the best man. So not only was I anxious about flying, I was anxious about public speaking!

As soon as I got on the flight I told the flight attendant about my severe anxiety. It was a 6 hour flight, about once an hour she'd sneak me a miniature liquor bottle. I got a good buzz going and I was watching movies I downloaded on my phone via Netflix.

I never recommend alcohol as a way to curb anxiety, but in the case of me flying without any medication and being that anxious, I happily took the booze.

Even when I used to have terrible anxieties years ago, I never had a fear of flying.

I'm grateful for that.