Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Prozac for Anxiety? Panic Attacks & IBS

Hi All

I've been given Prozac for anxiety.

My anxiety has been triggered by a number of things recently, and one of the side effects is really bad IBS.

Unfortunately, this has also lead to a great deal of anxiety over the IBS itself (which has always affected me) and I obsess over my symptoms, to the point where I get so worked up (and the physical symptoms manifest themselves) that I feel I cannot even leave the house.

Commuting is incredibly difficult. It's bad enough feeling as though I might have a panic attack on the bus, but with all the added stomach cramps, bloating, spasms, and fear of having an accident, there are just too many sources of anxiety. My anxiety is such, that even when I am relatively relaxed, the very thought of travelling, and the possible IBS/anxiety symptoms, literally sends a shock of anxiety through my body. It's as though it scares me each time I think of it.

My biggest fear is probably being stuck on transport, in lots of abdominal pain, having a panic attack and s**tting myself. Most journeys, my anxiety level are anything from 6 to 9 out of 10. Often, before leaving the house, I might need to go to the bathroom 4 or 5 times. And even then, I still feel like I need to go.

I feel completely dysfunctional and defective.

This is why I am becoming somewhat agoraphobic. It's easier just to stay home than to endure the constant fear and anxiety.

If only there were a switch so that I no longer worried about things, the physical symptoms would never arise.

I've never taken Prozac, or any other medication before. I have although fought through without medication, but I always relapse, eventually.

Now I am at a point I need as much help as I can get.

How have people fared on Prozac? Anyone else had IBS associated with their anxiety who has seen positive results?

I really can't afford to be in this position. I need to work. Sadly, the main trigger has been being made redundant, and taking legal action etc. Fortunately, I will be getting a pay out which will last me for a few months. I need these next few months to be a recovery for me so that I can start looking for alternative employment, without the fear of panic attacks or IBS.

Thanks

So no thoughts?

ok nice thank you
    ibsguides.com/ibs-attack-main-symptoms-and-causes

People with mood and. ... By balancing serotonin, Prozac can assist with alleviating anxiety and enhancing mood. Prozac can also help in reducing the severity of symptoms of panic disorder and aid in reducing the symptoms of some common co-occurring conditions, such as depression or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    https://www.refluxmd.com/adenocarcinoma-avoid/