Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Is depression contagious?

I have been depressed for many months now. I am aware that it's damaging my relationship with my partner, but I can't seem to do anything about it. Recently, I have observed that he's showing symptoms of depression as well (I'm familiar with the symptoms since I have experienced them before). Is depression contagious? What should I do about it?

Somewhat, yes. That being said, you shouldn't have to walk around with a painted smile, especially around loved ones. Being grouchy is worse than just being a little quiet and withdrawn. Maybe explain how your feeling ahead of time. If you feel its damaging your relationship, I would bring it up with your therapist. Is your partner understanding of your situation?

Ouur depression influence the family health significantly.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Yes, but only you can find the answers for yourself. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Compassion and Kindness has helped me somewhat as to try seeing things from another's perspective. 27+ years with my wife and family. Not being happy or attaining supposed goals has not been reason for me to leave. Sadly we live in a new age concept that leads many individuals to living their lives solely for them 'self.'

My wife and I share our depression contently. We accept it and do the best with the cards we have, regardless of who or how they are dealt. Once you get the hang of it - life presents peaceful moments. In fact when you catch a reprieve from all the suffering you really start to see just how much we already have. When you see other family members struggling with wants and desires fighting depression ... like I started to say ... you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. Best thing is to just be there for them. Hence ... compensation and kindness when we are not too busy feeding or creating problems.

Is not just family ... but also friends. Is the human condition.

I've been doing counseling with Regain for several months now to help me deal with my depression. My therapist said that my partner is also having sympathy symptoms. Before, I didn't know that it is possible to work like that. But apparently it does. I find that doing CrossFit has helped me a lot to cope with my depression. I also invited my partner to do it with me. So far, I can see minor improvements. I just have to make sure that I stay patient and work my way towards overcoming my depression.

When I was 12 years old or so, one of my best friends at the time often acted sad. He clearly had issues with depression.

After a while, my parents noticed that I was starting to act sad myself.

So yes, I think their is some truth to the idea that depression can be contagious, or at least to a point.

The short answer is yes, but like most things, the answer is complicated: It's not as if you'll become "infected" when a depressed friend cries on your shoulder. Your susceptibility or immunity depends on a number of things, from your genetics to your history and stress levels.