Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

On Meds For Depression And Feeling Happier? It's Also Because Of Your Beliefs

Talk therapists who work with those with depression try to help their clients develop a belief system that is positive and rational. Those who are clinically depressed often have belief systems that are too negative.

Many who have depression go into therapy because of it. And some who have been in psychotherapy for a while don't respond to it. It doesn't make them feel better, or at least not at first.

Then, a lot of them get put on psychiatric medication(s) that starts to really work for them and makes them feel better emotionally.

So is it just because of the meds?

No.

It's also because they're thinking more positively as well. It's not just because the meds are balancing their brain chemistry and are making them feel better as a result. It's also because their belief systems are more healthy, rational, and positive.

So if you've been dealing with depression and get on the right medication(s) that make you feel much better, chances are it's not just the pills that are helping you. It's also because of a better belief system.

I agree, Mike, the meds alone aren't the answer. You sound like you have a good balance

I think I have a good balance too, Sal.