Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Panic 468x60

Depression at its worst in the morning

I just read on a Facebook page that a woman was diagnosed with "Diurnal Mood Variation." I had never heard of it, so I looked it up. It's a sub type of major depressive disorder, but you feel most depressed in the mornings, and then you feel better as the day wears on.

I decided to post this as people on this forum have stated they feel the most depressed in the morning, but then their mood shifts as the day wears on. I had never heard of it, but if you google it you can read about it.

When people used to post this question, I would suggest that maybe they were getting more involved in their day and less anxious because they were more in the present. Had no idea of a diagnosis of "Diurnal Mood Variation"

Don't worry - what you're experiencing is very common.

I found that when I had issues with serious depression years ago, it could start at any point during the day. Sometimes I'd feel low in the morning and better later in the day. But at other times I'd feel fine in the morning and become sad during the afternoon or even at night.

I'm actually experiencing the opposite. I feel most depressed at night, before going to sleep. This is usually the time when negative thoughts come into my mind since I'm pretty unoccupied already.

Both for me. When I first wake up, and trying to wind down before bed is awful. Start to improve a few hours after I wake up.

Face Book Syndrome:

"Diurnal Mood Variation."

I am worst at night alone in bed as that's when the worst of the really bad terrors come. The thoughts of hopelessness and self serious harm and worse wont leave me alone,

That's why I'm still on sleeping tablets long after I should be - I just can't face it and get a panic attack if I envisage going to bed unmedicated.

Unfortunately the bad thoughts always return within 10 minutes maximum of waking up. That means no more sleep is possible no matter if I am tired or not.

I'm also up about 4 times through the night to go to the toilet but that's another story of course which affects older guys a lot. I am usually so tired I get back to sleep after those interruptions.

I'm always still tired and confused in the morning because of the unnatural sleep though.

Just sharing my experiences to see if they chime with anyone else.

Thanks

ScaredScot
    Last edited by ScaredScot; 08-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.