Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social anxiety getting worse with age?

How do you guys expereince your social anxiety? ...

...I mean, as the years go buy and you get older, do you find that it is getting better or worse?

I am wondering because I have had a few people contact me about this and so I wrote this blog post on my website. A post talking about some of the reasons some people are not getting better. Many do get better though...my own social anxiety got worse with age as well until I finally managed to turn it around.

Thanks for your time!

-Bob-

Worse, now I hate to be with people, for the last 7 years I had not gone to any party or people gathering. ......
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Whilst I often am repelled from matter of fact speech or a dialogue that proposes how I or others should or should not feel; I'll grant you it is very well written. I like the fact that you eventually included some options regarding possible solutions that may or may not work depending on the readers point of view, circumstances and willingness to improve.

As for the dynamic that Age plays into Anxiety Getting Worse? I think if anything, that's a really intriguing topic! Interestingly enough there is a bit of an irony as forums like these are filling up with the very young which presents an interesting contrast that in some ways can still be examined in relation to your question regarding exposure and time.

I'm a stickler for presenting cases from personal experience and not projecting absolutes through unfamiliar episodes which are more sold off more as authoritative expressions that lead many of us sufferers into a state of suggestibility. Being easily lead to a conclusion that's not really on par for the individual. None the less ... influential witting is all about selling a concept irrespective of whether it's right or wrong. I think that creates more anxiety in itself.

None the less ... those above thoughts being nothing more than my reservations to said question and one's link ... Yes Age in a world as complex and bombastic as ours - indeed Yes - ... Age in terms of Length of Time Exposed to the world in which I see - does surely ware on one's ability to sustain X amount of stress. Just as all living things grow old and eventually die. It's worth noting that the term age itself in no more than a container that has many elements that add to the outcome in which a person is worn down OR end up being in whatever state before one's end. Many of these elements being Environmental and Time Endured. Thus one's man journey although short lived can in fact be rather more stressed than that of an older hand that has lived well.

We are as old as we feel ... not as we are told.

Thx for sharing.

Just my two cents : )
    Last edited by Ponder; 06-22-2018 at 05:19 PM.

I avoid public gatherings and outings like that plague. When did use to go well over 10 years ago, all people did was gossip about people behind their backs when they walked away. Left me with a sour impression. For me it has gotten worse, never this bad. Had somebody ever told me, back then, that I would be afraid to leave my own house someday. I'd call them a lair. Look at me now

Hey sal ... might you qualify for a community service that offers mentoring and support? Here in Australia, some employment agencies offer this service to people diagnosed and undiagnosed individuals. Basically an longterm unemployed struggling with mental health issues. There are programs out there, sometimes it just takes a bit of help finding out, or the encouragement to try.

I have a community service worker that helps me with doctors visits and other important meetings like that. They also come to social events like art classes or mental health group were I have with like minded peers.

Just thought it was worth putting that out there. I understand it may not be for everyone as it does require being in a ceratain space to even try.

Just wanted to help with ideas was all.

Exscuse typos ... out shopping with my wife and using my phone as a modern day distraction.

Peace Bro.

Thanks Ponder.

I'm going to ask more questions Monday. I'll likely post about it here afterwards.

Thanks for taking the time to give me advice while out. Really appreciate it.

Enjoy your day

Thanks all for your feedback =)

At age of 20

I guess as we get older, we just realize that not bunch of people are worthy of our time.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmCamille View Post
    I guess as we get older, we just realize that not bunch of people are worthy of our time.
    I couldn't agree more with that statement!

And BTW..

Welcome back, Camille