Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nausea! Please hep :(

My name’s Holly and I have been dealing with anxiety for 11 years now. Basically the only uncomfortable sensation that I experience is nausea, which has developed into a fear of throwing up/vomiting. This fear is obviously a result of me throwing up during certain panic attacks or at least my specific “version” of a panic attack. I've found most people have panic attacks where they cannot breathe, think there going to die, have a heart attack ect. I don't get that, I know I won't die or suffocate, I know anxiety too well, its just the intense nausea that overwhelms me and I cannot control. I have only ever experienced extreme nausea which has in some cases resulted in me throwing up. Over the 11 years it has only gotten to that bad of a state on a small number of occasions, probably under 20. It is usualy just bad gagging and dry heaving, which is as bad as vomitting for me. I might aswell always be vomitting! With me personally, it doesn’t need to get to the stage where I physically throw up in order for anxiety to have an effect on me, and for me to therefore fear it in the future. Don’t get me wrong, I have also experienced sensations such as an accelerated heartbeat, sweating, shaking, and tingling, but I do not fear them like I do with throwing up around people.
    When I was first going through anxiety the nausea was especially bad, like two straight weeks of not being able to keep anything down. As a result, I developed a bit of a phobia in relation to food which I still have to this day, but it has now extended to just being around people, which is a lot more concerning. I’m much more anxious around people in comparison to just being alone, because of the social embarrassment that throwing up might cause and therefore fear what people might think of me. I’m becoming more of a recluse/prefer to do things on my own and don’t really enjoy being around people. With me it’s the social embarrassment and the fear of what people might think that is far greater and outweighs the act itself. I don’t fear throwing up specifically, which is why it’s never really an issue when I’m on my own. If I lose my concentration for just a second or am not in the right mindset, then things can get out of control very quickly.
    My first anxiety/panic episodes was when I was about 14/15, where when I was eating at a family friends house and my on/off boyfriend at the time turned up to see someone who was in the house at that time. I remember seeing him and having an overwhelming feeling of panic and nausea, I pushed my plate away , started sweating and ran to throw up, like completely out of the blue, i had never felt this or had any issue with food/nausea before this. After that first episode, this happened a few more times with food and him, but I didn't even know what anxiety was back then, so just thought I had food poisoning or something. Cut a long story short, it slowly got worse over the next few years and seemed to developed into mainly involving food/eating. I constantly felt nausea, anxiety, weird about eating, food making me feel sick and then that turnt into social issues, which is what is ruining my life today. I now feel unable to to eat with people, get anxious if I have to, cant always eat, want to run away and eat Alone ect. In the early stages, i got so anxious about food that I stopped eating really, i ate bananas and toast and stopped leaving my house much. Yet I want to eat so badly, I hate losing weight, not eating really gets me down. After the intial first years, I managed to go off to uni still, although it was very tough, but I got through it, managed to hide most of my issues from people and graduated ect. But the eating thing is still major for me, i can only eat around few close people and literally have a small panic attack if I'm ever put in a situation where I have tho eat with anyone else, I just cannot do it, I immediately start gagging and dry heaving. Which also means no cannot eat out at all, restaurants terrify me. Eating is the worst area for me, but is by no means the only area. I now struggle with most social situations, any that involve people really, but specially where I feel I may be trapped in a sense in say a conversation with someone, bump into someone I know and have to conversate, meetings, especially one to one, hospital appointments, travelling, nights/days out, anyany social really. Yet I can go about my day alone, in and out of shops etc as I need to fairly normally, but if I have to go with someone, its causes complete nausea and anxiety. Its so annoying and frustrating, as I am actually a naturally outgoing confident and wild kinda fearless person, until this. Its soo against my real character! It seems any situation where I feel 'trapped' and unable to just leave/hide if I need to, gets me going. It can be as simple as a conversation with someone, to being in a lift/plane ect. But like I said, the sensation is always nausea, where when its bad I'm gagging and dry heaving and in extreme cases I vomit. But the nausea is killing me and making me hide away and I hate it! Its so embarrassing! Although I remember the first times I had this sort of feeling when I was 14/15, I still can't work out why that actually happened or what the trigger really was. I had a pretty bad childhood, was always down and unstable at home, mum, wasn't around like she should have been and my dad was and still is a bad alcoholic, yet I have a great relationship with him x so I guess the trauma of my childhood could have had an impact? Yet I don't really feel that way, it doesn't bother me in an anxious way, I was still always confident and well balanced thru all of that and dont consider that to have caused such strange issues today, but who knows.
    I would just realy like to chat to others about this. I have seen a few psychologists in my time but nothing ever seems to work. Does anyone else go through this? With the intense nausea? Anyone got any tips to help? Id like to try some decent anti nausea tablets for the times when i really need it, any suggestions on some?
    Would be great to chat to peope :-)
    Many Thanks, Holly

Hi Holly,
    I've experienced a similar thing - I usually dry-heaved or threw up during panic attacks with me throwing up the first few months of my anxiety showing every morning. I don't have a problem with eating amongst other people but there was a time when I was in the hospital because I was unable to eat at all - there was a psychological block and I just couldn't eat though I wanted to.
    I started using prosulpin (the generic is sulpirid) and asentra - first of which helped me calm the nausea. It's a tablet which works mainly on the stomach and stuff but also influences your brain, so it's perfect for anxiety-induced nausea. You should discuss with a psychiatrist, they can prescribe some for you.
    It worked for me, nearly immediately. In about half an hour after I took it, I felt better. I use it daily now.
    Hope it gets better,
    Veronika

Hi Holly,
    I've experienced anxiety and fear of people, I now have a handle on my anxiety . What has worked for me is simple, practice when you are not feeling nausea and anxiety so it is second nature. Breathe in to a count of 4 Breathe out to a count of 4. After a couple days develop an affirmation that works for YOU. Mine is "Breathe in courage breathe out Fear" or "Breathe in Love Breathe out I Am Love" Then when Nausea comes up try and see if it helps. Another thing is imagine placing your nausea into a stream and watch it float away or imagine blowing it into a balloon and watch it float into the sky. I hope you find something that works for you.
    Another thing that helps me is to remember that "what other people think of me is none of my business. This one keeps me safe because the only thing that matters is what I think of myself.
    It may be a good thing to consider seeing someone professional who could support you while you learn some things to help you. That also helped me. Best wishes, let me know if these helped.
    Warm Regards,
    Charlene

Hiya Charlene, thanks to you too for your reply x
    Its funny you mentioned the balloon thing as I was trying that the other day, it is quite relaxing actually. But as soon as I stop, I feel ill again, so I'm trying to master it more. The breathing thing is also something I need to work on more too, I'm glad it helps you and thanks so much for the advice. I have seen a few psychologists and nothing helped, but what I am doing is getting all my hormones checked as no think I may have an imbalance due to my pcos. I am also considering seeing a hypnotherapist. U ever done that? What profession help has helped you? And how are you doing at the moment? X

Hi,

I have a problem with nausea, which on occasion has turned into vomiting, which has now given me a fear of vomiting. Although I don't like the thought of anyone suffering from it, it's a relief to know I'm not alone.

Much like you guys my nausea and vomiting brings about my attacks. I can be doing just fine then suddenly my body goes crazy with many of the symptoms you have described. I have mentioned on other threads I like to talk or chat my way through my episodes in addition to using lavender essential oil which is good for relaxation. Even when it passes it is a good day before my appetite returns. It is a vicious cycle since diet is so important and there are so many good foods that fight stress and depression. It also stinks when people start talking about tasty food and there is nothing you can do but suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by ashmilo View Post
    My name’s Holly and I have been dealing with anxiety for 11 years now. Basically the only uncomfortable sensation that I experience is nausea, which has developed into a fear of throwing up/vomiting. This fear is obviously a result of me throwing up during certain panic attacks or at least my specific “version” of a panic attack. I've found most people have panic attacks where they cannot breathe, think there going to die, have a heart attack ect. I don't get that, I know I won't die or suffocate, I know anxiety too well, its just the intense nausea that overwhelms me and I cannot control. I have only ever experienced extreme nausea which has in some cases resulted in me throwing up. Over the 11 years it has only gotten to that bad of a state on a small number of occasions, probably under 20. It is usualy just bad gagging and dry heaving, which is as bad as vomitting for me. I might aswell always be vomitting! With me personally, it doesn’t need to get to the stage where I physically throw up in order for anxiety to have an effect on me, and for me to therefore fear it in the future. Don’t get me wrong, I have also experienced sensations such as an accelerated heartbeat, sweating, shaking, and tingling, but I do not fear them like I do with throwing up around people.
    When I was first going through anxiety the nausea was especially bad, like two straight weeks of not being able to keep anything down. As a result, I developed a bit of a phobia in relation to food which I still have to this day, but it has now extended to just being around people, which is a lot more concerning. I’m much more anxious around people in comparison to just being alone, because of the social embarrassment that throwing up might cause and therefore fear what people might think of me. I’m becoming more of a recluse/prefer to do things on my own and don’t really enjoy being around people. With me it’s the social embarrassment and the fear of what people might think that is far greater and outweighs the act itself. I don’t fear throwing up specifically, which is why it’s never really an issue when I’m on my own. If I lose my concentration for just a second or am not in the right mindset, then things can get out of control very quickly.
    My first anxiety/panic episodes was when I was about 14/15, where when I was eating at a family friends house and my on/off boyfriend at the time turned up to see someone who was in the house at that time. I remember seeing him and having an overwhelming feeling of panic and nausea, I pushed my plate away , started sweating and ran to throw up, like completely out of the blue, i had never felt this or had any issue with food/nausea before this. After that first episode, this happened a few more times with food and him, but I didn't even know what anxiety was back then, so just thought I had food poisoning or something. Cut a long story short, it slowly got worse over the next few years and seemed to developed into mainly involving food/eating. I constantly felt nausea, anxiety, weird about eating, food making me feel sick and then that turnt into social issues, which is what is ruining my life today. I now feel unable to to eat with people, get anxious if I have to, cant always eat, want to run away and eat Alone ect. In the early stages, i got so anxious about food that I stopped eating really, i ate bananas and toast and stopped leaving my house much. Yet I want to eat so badly, I hate losing weight, not eating really gets me down. After the intial first years, I managed to go off to uni still, although it was very tough, but I got through it, managed to hide most of my issues from people and graduated ect. But the eating thing is still major for me, i can only eat around few close people and literally have a small panic attack if I'm ever put in a situation where I have tho eat with anyone else, I just cannot do it, I immediately start gagging and dry heaving. Which also means no cannot eat out at all, restaurants terrify me. Eating is the worst area for me, but is by no means the only area. I now struggle with most social situations, any that involve people really, but specially where I feel I may be trapped in a sense in say a conversation with someone, bump into someone I know and have to conversate, meetings, especially one to one, hospital appointments, travelling, nights/days out, anyany social really. Yet I can go about my day alone, in and out of shops etc as I need to fairly normally, but if I have to go with someone, its causes complete nausea and anxiety. Its so annoying and frustrating, as I am actually a naturally outgoing confident and wild kinda fearless person, until this. Its soo against my real character! It seems any situation where I feel 'trapped' and unable to just leave/hide if I need to, gets me going. It can be as simple as a conversation with someone, to being in a lift/plane ect. But like I said, the sensation is always nausea, where when its bad I'm gagging and dry heaving and in extreme cases I vomit. But the nausea is killing me and making me hide away and I hate it! Its so embarrassing! Although I remember the first times I had this sort of feeling when I was 14/15, I still can't work out why that actually happened or what the trigger really was. I had a pretty bad childhood, was always down and unstable at home, mum, wasn't around like she should have been and my dad was and still is a bad alcoholic, yet I have a great relationship with him x so I guess the trauma of my childhood could have had an impact? Yet I don't really feel that way, it doesn't bother me in an anxious way, I was still always confident and well balanced thru all of that and dont consider that to have caused such strange issues today, but who knows.
    I would just realy like to chat to others about this. I have seen a few psychologists in my time but nothing ever seems to work. Does anyone else go through this? With the intense nausea? Anyone got any tips to help? Id like to try some decent anti nausea tablets for the times when i really need it, any suggestions on some?
    Would be great to chat to peope :-)
    Many Thanks, Holly
    Hi Holly,

I get it myself. I had it really bad during this year's holiday to the point where I lost 3 pounds because of not being able to eat. All I can say, what helps for me is, trying to relax and I know this is far from easy. I went two days without eating before I could get myself relaxed enough to eat. I used some sleep hypnosis and meditation to get my body to the point where I could eat again and stop from being so damn nauseous.

I also am having problems like you

ashmilo, I've experienced the same thing as you!! At one point when my anxiety was really bad, I vomited every day for a week. My main symptom when I'm anxious is nausea, and when it gets so severe that I vomit, soon I'm anxious about vomiting; it can be a vicious circle.

Single_Dad mentioned talking his way through his episodes, I've found that has helped me quite a bit. I used to hide my nausea and fear of vomiting from family and close friends, because I was embarrassed and was afraid they wouldn't understand, but they were very supportive. If I'm with one of them and start to feel nauseous, I tell them immediately, and they'll listen as I talk through it, rationalizing that if I get sick, it's okay!! It isn't the end of the world, I will survive and I will get through this. My friend will understand and will take care of me, and the strangers around probably won't care or remember. People get sick all the time in public places, they aren't going to think I'm crazy or there's something wrong with me, they're just going to think I'm not feeling well. Sometimes I'll also get friends to distract me, and talk about anything else. If you can manage to get your mind off of it, it's surprising how quickly the symptoms can dissipate. When I get nauseous in crowded places with a close friend or family member, I try to focus on just them, and imagine the room is empty. I find looking around at all the people and imagining what they'll think if I throw up escalates my symptoms.

As for eating, I struggle with that one too. It's hard to eat when your stomach is doing summersaults. I usually can't finish a meal in front of others if I'm anxious, and I worry that they will judge me if I don't finish all of my food. Let me know if you figure out any strategies for this one, I'd love to hear them!

You're definitely not alone though!!

Sorry for bringing up old thread. But I have extreme dry heaving/ nauseous stomach all the time when I’m nervous or have anxiety. Is there any supplements u can take to relax your stomach or get rid of dry heaving? Mine gets so bad that I can’t talk or swallow as when lips move I want to gag. Taking sip of buckleys helped as it put a weird taste in my mouth and the gagging went away as long as gross buckleys taste in mouth. I know this wrong to do but it only thing that helped and eventually the more I did it ( exposed myself) the more it was easier for me to do. But anything new that I didn’t do before makes me nervous and want to dry heave