Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Afraid to go away on holidays

I have just organised to go away for Christmas with my partner, the thing is its a 2 day drive away and its freaking me out.

I'm not very good at going out of my "comfort zone " and this is a real stretch for me.
    Im worried that I'm going to freak out why I'm away and wont be able to do anything to calm down. I keep thinking 'what if" I have a panic attack that I cant stop it, if I am freaked out I need to come home, what if I cant relax and have fun the whole time I'm away????

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I cant think of anything else but the stress of going. I cant sleep and every minute of the day Im thinking how can I get out of this?.

Is there anyone out there who is going through or has gone through anything like this? I need some help BIG time because I cant relax and its meant to be a holiday

Hi Raychie.

Last April we booked to go to spain for 2 weeks, and I wasnt happy but was scared to say anything about it.

I panicked and panicked and kept thinking what if i have a panic attack and what if die etc.

I put it off tried to make excuses saying i didnt have a passport and one day i just thought to myself you are not going to die, the worse thing that can happen is a panic attack, and i can deal with that.

I take 2, 20mg cipralex daily, so i made sure i had enough for my holiday, and took extra tablets away with me just in case.

I also got some diazapam from my doctor, and just having them there helped me be less nervous and scared.

If you keep worrying about what will happen, you will worry yourself in to a panic attack, i know it is hard, but just go, and just go with the flow, tell yourself nothing will happen, stay calm and ENJOY YOURSELF.

I went to spain and ended up having the best 2 weeks of my life, and didnt have a panic attack once, i actually forgot about my panic attacks and anxiety for the first time in a long time.

You will be fine keep your chin up and stay postive.

gemma xx
    If it makes you happy then it cant be that bad..*

Hi Gemma

Thanks so much for sharing your story, I really appreciate it.

I know you're right about me enjoying myself once I relax. I think I'm worried so how if I take a xanax and it doesnt work I'll be freaking out the whole time.

It's not like Xanax has not worked for me before, these are just the thoughts that are going through my head.

I also think that I dont want to suffer a panic attack which will last the 2 days it takes to drive home if I need too.

Im such a sad case

I think you're worrying so much because you're overwhelmed, not just with the trip but waiting for it to happen! Like Gemma said you need to go with the flow but I'd also chunk that flow down to bite sized pieces! Just get through each hour as it comes if a full day is too much to worry about!

Luckily you've got a couple of weeks to prepare for this trip... so what do you need to do to make sure you feel more confident about going?

raychie,

I've certainly had the same dread of a trip in the past, especially with holiday travel as there is always so much traffic and crowds are seemingly everywhere. However, something that really helped me was to focus on 2 things.

1) How confident and proud of yourself you will feel once the trip is over and you successfully made it through!

2) The positive end of this trip - that you're going to visit loved ones over a holiday.

Looking positively into the future, as well as what Vicki mentions, taking it one baby step at a time, will really help you get through such events.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys, you're right. Last night I started thinking about how many exciting things Im going to do whilst on holiday and I made it through the night sleeping

I dont know what it is that would make me feel more confident about going but I do look forward to being proud of myself when I come home knowing everything was ok.

I also look at it this way (and maybe i shouldn't but If it becomes to much I will just have to take a xanax to relax me. Of course that being my last resort but its there as a comfort.

My partners also told me that if it become to much for me we just pack up and come right home. That support itself helps alot.

Thanks for your help guy's I will keep you posted.

What an AMAZING partner you have!! Look at it this way - you have the oportunity to go on a fantastic few days away but if it all gets too much you have your partners support and the choice to come home again. You have the best of both worlds!

Vicki you're so right. I do have an amazing partner and once he had said that to me it lightened the load.

I am very blessed, this is true.

I feel guilty like I'm complaining when I'm luckier than most but I think that's normal.

I have to say also being on this forum and knowing Im not alone has really helped me. I'm finally getting excited about my holiday.

Thanks for the support everyone. *hugs*

Take lots of pictures to share with us when you come home

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki
    Take lots of pictures to share with us when you come home
    I sure will, I'll let you know all about it