Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Anti-Anxiety Meds Can Literally Work Too Well

Many people who have dealt with serious anxiety issues have found psychiatric medications to be quite helpful in calming themselves down. And lots of people who now feel way too nervous will get on anti - anxiety medications that will calm them down and improve their lives.

However, sometimes psychiatric medications can literally work too well.

Why?

Because if meds calm you down too much, you may end up making too many unnecessary risks in life and doing high risk things that you normally wouldn't do.

So if you have anxiety issues, psychiatric medication(s) can really help you. But if you decide to try meds under a doctor's care for your anxiety issues, it's good to try to notice if you're still too nervous, or on the other end of the spectrum, it's good to realize that you're too calm.

Very interesting perspective. Given my issues at the moment (one of which is being rejected for double lung and heart transplant, after initially starting the workup) I wouldnt mind having that too calm side effect!!

Barbimay, I hear you there. When I used to have anxiety issues, I certainly would not have minded feeling too calm. And lots of other people with anxiety issues feel the same.