Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Head Space

If your just looking for a Hard Drive upgrade regarding more space for your computer D ... I think any of these might suit your needs well.

The 7 Best SATA Hard Drives to Buy in 2018

If your not into gaming or photo/video editing like myself I don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

I'll be grabbing one of the above for my Storage Space ... but will run my OS, Gaming and editing off a couple of SSD drives. Can't lose out on the SATA for storage though. Some cheap/affordable but more importantly reliable options above. That said ... you never know D ... I've had some die on me with everything stored in one place.

you talking about extrenal or internal and which one is good, without my son I am lost
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

These would be Internal. Internal SATA (aka - mechanical drives) Typically have two cables 1 Power - 2. Data.

Are you wanting space on your Primary Drive → C:

If so you would have to reinstall your Operating System replacing that one. Some people might just copy and paste however I can not recommend that.

The instillation process can be found on you tube. It will ideinfy the two cables (Power and Data) showing you where to plug them in. However if you have multiple internal drives and not sure what your doing - I would say wait until your son is able to help.

On the other Hand ... if your happy just to use an external drive for your storage space (just photos, videos, documents, Software Install files, and other programs) and not use it to run programs from ... then leave me to it and I will link the best budget ones I would choose.

So ... which were you thinking of ... You said your desktop space so I am now wondering was it your internal primary drive or may an internal secondary/storage drive ... or you just looking to upgrade an external with perhaps more space?

These would be Internal. Internal SATA (aka - mechanical drives) Typically have two cables 1 Power - 2. Data.

Are you wanting space on your Primary Drive → C:

If so you would have to reinstall your Operating System replacing that one. Some people might just copy and paste however I can not recommend that.

The instillation process can be found on you tube. It will ideinfy the two cables (Power and Data) showing you where to plug them in. However if you have multiple internal drives and not sure what your doing - I would say wait until your son is able to help.

On the other Hand ... if your happy just to use an external drive for your storage space (photos, videos, documents, Software Install files, and other programs) and not use it to run programs from ... then leave me it to me and I will link the best budget ones I would choose.

You said your desktop space? ... so I am now wondering was it your internal primary drive or may an internal secondary/storage drive ... or you just looking to upgrade an external usb drive to allow for my file space?

Here is a fairly straight forward one and a half minute instructional video showing the basics of installing a SATA drive into your computer and attaching it to your motherboard:

http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/...hard_drive.htm

http://www.buildeasypc.com/

The only thing I would add is that in the video above ... take note of those blue SATA inputs → here that these inputs will have a priority/order which will be noted in the BIOS. You usually access the BIOS/SETUP via F2 or F11 by holding done the function key for a couple of seconds whilst powering up your PC. If Replacing C drive ... you want to plug your SATA into priority 0 or 1 depending on your motherboards listing. If you already have more than one SATA hooked up ... just look for the priority 0 connector ... pull that out and then reboot. If your pc cant start ... it's a safe bet you just unplugged you Primary C drive and now know which SATA port to plug yours into.

If any of that makes sense with the instructions above ... then you wont need your son.

Hows that sound to you? You can just add an internal drive by adding an extra one if you have spare SATA ports just by plugging a new one into said spare port. ( a lot cheaper and faster running an internal one and you can get much more space as well compared to an external - BUT an external may do just as well if all this is too much to take in without your son) In most cases you wont have to do anything ... unless windows has an issue with recognizing the size of new drive. In that case you restart ... hit the appropriate function key to go into setup - Google SATA configuration ... and yadda yadda.

ANYHOOOOW it may depend on the age of your computers motherboard as to exactly what keys you hit to enter into BIOS mode as to the layout and choices you get in there.

I'm going back to researching monitors for a whiles.

I have sata in my computer at the time 4 years ago as it was build it was pretty expensive one, yeah I should install another one for just windows ,,,,,,,,,yeah there is a thing if I reinstall windows I am loosing few nice programs I love it, now is not way to get it. I am thinking that I should change the size of my partition iwth windows, I have so much unused space, My son made it one hundred for windows , and it is not enough even I turned off so many options
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I Hope this help you D. I know it did me when I had to do it. No software needed! Read my instructions ... watch tutorial... then do both. Take your time. Proceed slowly and you will nail this!!!

About the tutorial and why I chose it:

There a many tutorials but most involve using software to extend C: Another confusion with other tutorials is people only showing how to delete partitions and not shrink. You wont want to delete your other partition if you have stuff you want to keep. This is why I had to go with this annoying tutorial. I say annoying because the music (not choice of music just sound whilst thinking is all) is no good for my brain and they also throw the mouse all over the place.

I had to MUTE the music and use the pause button to come up with the following:

Extend the size of C: Drive without any Software:
    Please allow me to explain the process. The tutorial video is not an easy watch if you don't know what's going on. Again I only shared it because there is not many that show you how to correctly extend C without using Software or deleting your secondary. This way we only shrink your secondary allowing you to keep all your files on both C & D. Something I am sure you can appreciate and more than likely want/need.

Find Disk Management:
    1. Open File Manager (Windows Explorer) On the left hand side search for 'This PC" Right Click and then left click 'Manage" Once it opens ... look for 'Disk Management'
    2. OR simply hit Windows Key + X to Find 'Disk Management'

Above method not in tutorial
    __________________________________________________ ________

Note* This tutorial shows a number of partitions. You may not have as many. Just work with what you have. More than likely just Use your D:

D is the letter usually given to your next partition found to the right of C. Having the new partition your about to create and delete → needs to end up sitting on the right of C - in order for C to be able - to be extended. (This point was not shown in other tutorials which lead others having to use software to resolve)

1.Working with D: drive - Right click on it to shrink Volume
    Take your time here to calculate how much you want to take from your secondary drive. I assume you will already have stuff on it. In that case you will only be able to take so much from it. Bare in mind it is good to have some empty space left on all your drives.
    Me being dyslexic and all - I usually eye ball / calculate looking in windows explorer - then adjust the numbers according to that. Just take your time working at the numbers is all. The measurements are in Megabytes. 100000mb = 100GB I know you probably know that ... Despite me knowing it I still get confused with all the numerals being so close. I'm fucked up like that with both letters and even when people speak - that's another story ... srry too much text.

2. NOW WORKING WITH UNALLOCATED Partition: This should now be on the right of D: Right Click on the Allocated Partition & select 'New Simple Volume' Don't mess with the default settings ... just click NEXT all the way to FINISH.

3. NOW DELETE D: Right Click Delete BUT Make Sure this D: drive is in fact the size of new space your wishing to merge with your C:
    I do not have a spare laptop to try this on and was confused initially when presented with this step in the tutorial. I was like WTF delete D???? However I understand the new space you created has been assigned the D: letter whilst the left over space from your original D: is now called I ... although this may be different in your case. JUST BE AWARE of the size of the drives you are messing with.... D: will usually sit directly to the right of C: and is exactly where we need it to be in order for C: to be extended. Just remind yourself of the file size you intending to extend into C and look for that sized partition for the next step.

4: FINALLY YOU CAN EXTEND C: Just right lick on C: and select Extend ... hitting next until you FINISH!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Here is the Video Tutorial ... Up to you ... but I found it way easier turning the music off/mute and using the pause button and taking my time to read.

Does this help you at all D? I know you know a lot about PCs ... Even though I know a bit myself, I still need to go back and check how things are done ... brush up kind of thing. Which is why I took the time to do this for myself. I hope your feeling a little more confident in extending the size of your C drive now. It's important to have space on both drive.

100GB is not enough for your primary drive given the amount of OS/Security/Browser Updates not to mention all the associated windows software that get puts on without the choice the D: ... I highly recommend that when you have to chance to install to D: with whatever program you install from this point on ... that you choose to use D: as your new install directory.

I use a 250GB SSD Ram Chip ... but whilst alra fast for my OS ... it's a full time job not to over fill my C: ... If you take your time with the above ... you should be able to rectify your problem regarding lack of space on your C:

Good Luck

PS ... out of curiosity what size is your secondary and how much free space is on it ... I could give you my ball park figure as to what C: drive would best be given your figures ... other than than ... aim to add 400GB if you can ... BUT will depend on the size for your secondary and how much you currently have on that. If you a limited ... just add what you can to free up space.

C: drive with 300GB total should suffice if you keep on eye out and aim to install most things on D: (Like I say ... I struggle with C: @ 250GB) Anything has to be better than 100GB The years have rolled on and so have the file sizes. : )

Those of us with 250GB typically use the faster drives which cost a lot more ... if we could ,,, I dare say most power/ enthusiasts would rather 500GB SSD/ram chips for their primary ... OK I get on with my day.

Hope this finds you well.
    Last edited by Ponder; 02-01-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Perhaps the latest Vlog entry might interest you more, however it's much of the same old ramblings. I don't mind them because it's part of my own process of conditioning. Part of getting back on my Bike. This year plan is consist of a 6 month target up to my supposed payout if in fact it eventuates. I suspect these Vlog entries will continue more as a personal practice withing my own space. Don't be a stranger though as your presence and advice is highly valued D. Is OK ... I'm not smacking myself in the head this time round.

Video feed cuts out half way due to battery running flat. Story of my life. LOL all good ... not an entertainment vid at any rate. Just Vlog therapy ... nothing more.

I think I will throw this into my plans this year as well. With whatever ever change I have left over after visiting my mother. I will start by ordering off eBay from China:

I live in the perfect location for flying kites, but weirdly I hardly see anyone doing it? I wonder why that is? There are some really graceful kites out there with most being much easier to transport than a surfboard or kayak. Less taxing to do as well. Perfect for Anxiety and Depression no doubt.
    Last edited by Ponder; 02-02-2018 at 02:22 PM.

thank you, I have C and E , E has 278 giga of space can be more I keep things there I do not need will print it started to watch video thank you so much I copied it and printed and now I neeed to spend some time reading it
    Last edited by Dahila; 02-02-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore