Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: I Need Advice

Talking I Need Advice

I get TERRIBLE anxiety when people yell/scream, and that's ALL my brother does. All day and night I have to listen to him yelling at his friends on his Xbox, and no matter where in the house I am I can hear him, even with my headphones on with the volume all the way up. It's getting to the point that during the few hours where he actually sleeps, I hear screaming, even though nobody is, and it's so bad that I don't even want to be at home because I know I'll have to listen to him yelling. It gives me terrible anxiety attacks and I dont know what to do

Have you spoke to him or you parents about this? Assuming your still living with your parents?

What steps have you tried thus far to resolve the situation?

Hi, I would encourage you to talk to your GP about this first. There are ways to cope and to improve how you're feeling, but you should seek help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMargo View Post
    Hi, I would encourage you to talk to your GP about this first. There are ways to cope and to improve how you're feeling, but you should seek help.
    I think it's a sad day when we have to first consult a GP before approaching our own family members on relationship issues. Alas is the sign of the times I guess. It's worth noting that GPs don't deal in copping strategies. They deal more in chemical solutions for lifestyle related problems. In essence, to see your GP in order to cope with feelings is to ask for pills to help you cope with your brothers anxiety. I think the irony here is that given your story, it should be your brother seeking the pills rather than you taking them for him. That said, he might actually be more receptive to a resolution if time is taken to seek out an approach that deals with his own core issues.

Pills won't solve the problem, they will only mask the noise for a period of time. Eventually you will have to up your dose and if your brother is not taking them or anything else ... + no resolution sort ... then he will just continue getting louder and you'll begin questioning why your even bothering to take medicine. Much better to deal with the issues head on regardless of the angst. The more we go running to our doctors every time we have a family fit ... well ...

Actually ... Just go take some pills. You'll soon work out you taking them is not going to shut your brother up.

Ear Plugs will do way less damage.

Those people who discuss their problems with family members are really happy I believe. Unfortunately nowadays family members don't hear each other.

Pretty much what I am seeing. Road to recovery made a good post about the effect of technology. I think humans inability to keep up pace with their marvelous advances plays a large role into communication breakdown. Txting is something that's really effected the way we communicate, with mobile devices getting in between couples where they would otherwise be making positive connections where it really counts. 80 % of communication is non verbal ... taking that our of the equation makes it easier to skirt problems and later on we become less able to deal with people face on. It's a real issue affecting us all as a whole.

You're absolutely right.

I think the best is to get help from therapist and of course try to speak with your brother, or if you have difficult communication, try to speak with your parents so that they influence on him.

Yes. Communication is key! Do your best to talk to him and your parents and have your parents talk to him AND his friends.

I think Ponder's advice with the ear plugs is right on. in college i had a roommate who would have a friend over and she would talk so loud. i would knock on the wall, but no change. got myself some mack's silicone earplugs and the noise went away. i have kept using them ever since. I bet on ear plugs vs changing you brothers addiction to video games.