Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Problems with SSRI

I am suffering from anxiety and have been taking SSRI (Cipralex/Escitalopram) for a long time. Cipralex/Escitalopram have been very effective against anxiety i can also take a very small dose to get an effect. I have been taking 5mg Cipralex/Escitalopram when the minimal recommended dose is 10mg. The problem is that when i take SSRI i get nothing done at all. It feels like all my motivation disappears and i cannot study. I also have been diagnosed with ADHD and also feels like Cipralex/Escitalopram makes it even harder to concentrate. Does anyone else recognize this and what have you done to solve it?

SSRI work well for some people, I am like you , I feel drained and kind of zombie state. Welcome to the forum Wood
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

It is a very common problem. The ssri's inhibits the serotonin uptake in out brains so, in essence we get more of that. However that comes with the price of lowering our dopamin levels...dopamine is our drive/go get it neurotransmitter. So, lower dopamine = less motivation and drive.

The solution would be to find the absolute minimum effective doese AND do a lot of exercise to drive dopamin levels up.

Hope that helps a bit.

Much Love!

-Bob-