Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yep Despite the short comings listed here, we will all be making an effort. My son is getting married in early January. I don't like those gatherings either, but thankfully his wedding is only a small gathering. My eldest daughter gets married some time later in the year, however her wedding is going to be on a larger scale with relatives attending whom in all honesty I care less to know. (Nothing personal of course) My daughter is having a traditional wedding where I am expected to "give her away" as if she is 'mine' to give ... rolls eyes. Complete garbage really ... but I'll just smile and play along as best I can. I like my son in law. As for all those who only know me from gossip ... I'll just smile and nod and leave them with their snippets of info offering not much else. Is pretty much what I will be doing come the Xmas lunch.

But yea ... it nice to catch up with immediate family and also allow others the opportunity to reach out if they so wish. I grant half the time the issue is more us. Focus on what works rather than what does not ... hey? You seem like to always have a positive outlook on such things martin. Is a good way to be for as long as one has the strength. No one is perfect of course.

Who does the xmas lunch in your house, the missus?

If so, make sure you get a plate of veggies, man. 2018 sounds like a busy one. Have you seen much of your future daughter in law's family?

Yeah, most of the time I end up dreading the holidays, but come the night of the 25th I find it's actually been alright. Like you say, most people make an effort and usually things go smoothly enough. You have a few laughs along the way.

Gyps, are you seeing your daughter over the coming weeks?

She’s probably coming the last couple of weeks of Jan (our school hols go from mid-December to start of Feb).
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I used to hate Xmas because of my anxiety, now I just don't like It because it drags on a bit.
    The good thing about Xmas for me is that I know by 2nd Jan its all as far away as it can be until it comes back.
    Plus I dont like all the religious side of it, I think if I walked into a church I'd probably combust there and then

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    I just went to the shops and it
    was so busy I felt like crying (my anxiety is very much social).

Luckily I don’t have to go to any big gatherings this year but still, I haven’t bought a single present and just want to hibernate in my room. I feel like everything is so out of control

Who else is struggling with the so-called festive season?

I spent a few Christmases as a kid in the UK and I loved it. Not just because I was a kid but because the “vibe” is different in the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia it’s hot and dry, and you see stuff with reindeers in snow etc and it just seems wrong. So it’s just this crazy time of year where everyone is at the shops, spending money they don’t have, and it makes me want to curl up in a ball and hide.

It was -8 last week here in UK (cries)

I spent a few Christmases as a kid in the UK and I loved it. Not just because I was a kid but because the “vibe” is different in the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia it’s hot and dry, and you see stuff with reindeers in snow etc and it just seems wrong. So it’s just this crazy time of year where everyone is at the shops, spending money they don’t have, and it makes me want to curl up in a ball and hide.

Not just because I was a kid but because the “vibe” is different in the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia it’s hot and dry, and you see stuff with reindeers in snow etc and it just seems wrong
    Funny what conditioning does to you, isn't it? Obviously those of us in the northern hem. think the idea of a hot xmas is weird. I remember when I was young, every xmas day my dad would always say "how would you like to be one of those people in Australia, having Christmas on the beach?" He could never comprehend it.

Gypsy, I wondered about that...what it was like with all the Christmas activities going on in Australia. I live in the southern part of the US, Atlanta, but we recently had 7 inches of snow, so it made Christmas fun. I can look out my patio and see my neighbors lights blinking and they are really pretty.

It’s horrible for me. I’m very sensitive to weather and general “vibes” and I always feel so anxious this time of year. Today it’s been 35C (now a storm) and I feel so unsettled. The shops are just madness and I can’t wait til it’s over!

We make the extended family who don't have children travel to us. We had a gift debacle when I was 6 months pregnant with DS2 and flying on my own with DS1, and I decided then that we would never go away at Christmas.