Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Go Away Christmas!

I just went to the shops and it was so busy I felt like crying (my anxiety is very much social).

Luckily I don’t have to go to any big gatherings this year but still, I haven’t bought a single present and just want to hibernate in my room. I feel like everything is so out of control

Who else is struggling with the so-called festive season?
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

For starters I call it Xmas for obvious reasons. I generally can't get out of family gatherings. I have to it up with Baby Boomers going on about jobs, money, over sea vacations and where the next inheritance is comming from. Of course that's just my experience so no offense to our resident baby boomers in here.

Yep ... I hear ya Gypsy. Then there is the traffic of all kinds. Alas ... it's a good time to practice being Zen. I remember the calmer I seemed last year the more it seemed to piss off a few at the gathering. I was being passive and they became aggresive. Go figure.

I’ve been reading articles on this site https://markmanson.net/ and there is a lot about consumer culture (which runs completely rampant over Xmas). I’m contemplating buying this guy’s book, “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F#$&” because I’m enjoying the articles.

I haven’t read all of this article but it’s good. The sad thing is, my uni degree is in Marketing. I think I’ve redeemed myself though by never getting anywhere with it

https://markmanson.net/insecurity

“Through Freud, Bernays understood something nobody else in business ever understood before him: that if you can tap into people’s insecurities — if you can needle at their deepest feelings of inadequacy — then they will buy just about any damn thing you tell them to.”

Ha! I just had a look at another article and it starts with..

“Did you know more people commit suicide during Christmas season than any other time of year? I know, what a cheery way to start an article during the holiday season. But seriously, you think that’s a coincidence?”

https://markmanson.net/6-books
    Last edited by gypsylee; 12-15-2017 at 05:46 AM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Yeah, it's manic this time of year.

Thankfully I've only had to go to the mall once. That was to pick my nephew out a board game.

Luckily I come from a small family. We exchange a few gifts, have a meal and watch a movie. Pretty non-eventful. Imagine being part of a family that believes xmas has to be "perfect". Or being in a family where you have to buy gifts and cook dinner for like 30 people. Stress overload!

Ponder, how many people do you usually get together with on xmas?

For three years on the road I refuse to do anything for xmas, I just give gifts to my granchild , and maybe my products to my daughter and her bf
    f*** xmas I work on my products and enjoy the time downstairs in my workshop. No social anxiety anymore
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

I don't think i'd ever get so low that i'd commit suicide, but i can understand why people would do t. I do feel sometimes, if i were to die, nobody would notice.
    Wherever you look ..... Tv; newspapers; even computer forums at this time of year, everyone seems to be saying how much they're looking forward to Christmas. The things they have planned, and the places they're going. It seems everyone is talking about all the presents they've bought, and the gifts they're expecting. You see everyone enjoying themselves and you ask yourself....... why can't i do that ?
    Christmas, and especially New Year, as the bells are ringing, must be the worst time of the year when you're alone, and find it so difficult to meet others and make friends

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Ponder, how many people do you usually get together with on xmas?
    Less than 30.

I used to love Christmas now its just like sad to me because I don't feel happy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    Less than 30.
    Will your boy be visiting for christmas?