Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anxiety medication?

I really don’t want to take medication for my anxiety but as per my last post I think I really need to in order to maintain a regular life.

I’ve tried Fluoxetine and it worked well for my obsessive thoughts, but gave me sexual side effects.
    I also recently tried Mirtazipine, but that gave me zaps throughout my body.

My anxiety is fear based around my heart and obsessing over it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey and welcome

I’ve been in this anxiety gig for decades and my honest opinion is that there are ultimately no meds you can take regularly, long-term for anxiety. Benzos (Valium etc) work the best but aren’t really a sustainable option. I’m on 40mg Fluoxetine (Prozac) and I still get crazy anxiety.

Maybe we aren’t supposed to “maintain a regular life”? Don’t get me wrong — I take a heap of stuff to just deal with life, but the problem isn’t actually us; it’s this mind-numbing, spirit-crushing lifestyle we’re meant to lead. I just can’t pretend things are ok, the older I get and the worse society gets. I need to get off-the-grid so badly it’s doing my head in!

Sorry for the rant when all you wanted was med advice. I’m just so over it all at the moment

All the best,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

just talking generally, and not to anyone in particular.

anxiety gets worse, catches your attention, promotes change. So it can be said anxiety is useful, and healthy.

society gets worse, catches your attention, promotes change. so it can be said the worse society gets, the more the change, healthier as a whole.

people have forgotten that they are part of society, the blind eye doesnt work, because the worse it gets, the louder it screams, it grabs your attention. bemoaning it, fighting it, doesnt work. just like anxiety, you made some real progress only in acceptance, giving up, and attitude change.

if you believed you were valuable, and felt connected to this 'society' then you would see your part in it. which is to walk in your own neighborhood and make it a better place, smile at the stranger at the market. help someone out, give some money, be kind and gentle.

society is 99% 'good', in a way where all of their kindly acts add up (connected world) to keep the true peace and path.

if you want to know the ultimate truth to living a gentle life and how you can contribute, create peace, and feel good too then read my sig. 800,000 times until its truly felt.

martin luther, john kennedy, john lennon hated violence and so they met what they hate. love is love, love peace instead (theres a vast difference), and as you walk around your little earth corner, practice that.

agreed about benzos if needed, but be careful of the SSRI's. rather be cognizant (conscious) how you feel on them, ready to talk about it with your psyche and make changes, or get off them entirely.

i tell you its often really fuckin hard, this life gig. I think i may pass on from this forum pretty soon, not that i dont love and feel for everyone, but i noticed being here doesnt make me feel good, say in the same way a piece of chocolate does. its important to feel good. Im not being rude or condescending in any way. Im just learning to value my feelings.

I wish you all good feelings
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 10-24-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

oh yes, one last thing-

Trust God.

Now, I know many of you have lost your faith or if you wish, belief, and that in itself causes anxiety (uncertainty, insecurity) - and is chronic. Meaning you are not scared of say a job interview, and then you are fine. Most of you are chronically ill, even in your own home with no seeming disturbance.

God, can be whatever you imagine, you see. Opening to a possibility, say you have 10% belief, opens your spirit accordingly. The sun will shine again, thats a certainty.

Ponder, I will always wish you well, take care. Its time to walk the walk, in faith. And remember, anxiety is like an old friend, you see, so as you all leave it behind, expect some sadness. You are kicking out a piece of your own psyche, to which was created by you for some reason, benefit, at that time. Ego will fight before it loses a part of itself (that it has created) - like a child, and try to convince it to stay. Just let it go in peace, thank it for its hard lessons, and trust God, you see. That you can walk into the light of freedom.

Blessings
    Last edited by Im-Suffering; 10-24-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    "Each person alive helps paint the living picture of civilization as it exists at any given time. Be your own best artist. Your thoughts, feelings, and expectations are like the living brush strokes with which you paint your corner of lifes landscape. If you do your best in your own life, then you are helping to improve the quality of all life. Your thoughts mix and merge with others, to form man's living-scape, providing the vast mental elements from which physical events will be formed"

I just started Buspirone yesterday and it gave me immediate relief. I'm not going to say that it it completely gone, but it brought my 8's down to 2's, and from what I heard this medicine needs to build up in your system so it should become more effective over time. It made me loopy for about 15 minutes, then lethargic for a couple of hours, but nothing bad. Information on the drug seems pretty positive as well. Non-addictive, easy to stop taking. No sexual side effects. I am on 15 mg twice a day. My triggers are fear based as well. I can tell you from my experience (note I'm only on day 2) is so far excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by supadan323 View Post
    I just started Buspirone yesterday and it gave me immediate relief. I'm not going to say that it it completely gone, but it brought my 8's down to 2's, and from what I heard this medicine needs to build up in your system so it should become more effective over time. It made me loopy for about 15 minutes, then lethargic for a couple of hours, but nothing bad. Information on the drug seems pretty positive as well. Non-addictive, easy to stop taking. No sexual side effects. I am on 15 mg twice a day. My triggers are fear based as well. I can tell you from my experience (note I'm only on day 2) is so far excellent.
    I'm really glad to hear you've found some relief! Do you have any psychotherapy planned to help you overcome your triggers?

I'm looking into it now; unfortunately the best place I liked does not take my insurance. I am extending my range on where to go. Do you have any recommendations into what type. I was originally looking for a psychiatrist, but now that my doctor prescribed me medicine; would it be more prudent to just find a psychologist? (They are much easier to find)

I'll just share my experiences. Yes, the antidepressant does help tremendously with anxiety. Unfortunately, it's a trial and error period to find the right one. I like Lexapro because it's a newer, cleaner medication with the fewest side effects.
    If you need additional help, Buspar is good but be sure to take it twice a day. It helps some people, but not others. If your anxiety gets really bad (like mine is now) you may have to add in a benzodiazepine but only use that as a last resort,
    but they are very helpful.

Connecting with other people in a meaningful way is one of the best antidotes to anxiety, I find.

Speaking your truth and telling your story. Most anxiety comes from feeling inadequate and isolated. Social media is no good because most people just tell lies.

Talk hard
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

I agree with you. Getting "out of ourselves" and connecting with others is great for anyone, including us. Sometimes I'll be with other people, and then I'll say, "Gee, I've gone 8 hours without being anxious." Also, I am in 100% agreement about social media. Some studies have shown Facebook leads to depression, because people only post the highlights in their lives, and the good times, and then other people compare themselves and get down.