Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Medical anxiety?

I get super anxious about everything relating to my body. Currently, my biggest fear is that I have a brain tumor. I most likely don't, but I am just waiting for the moment I have a seizure, or that it becomes super apparent that I do have what I think. I also have a major fear of throwing up. Does anyone know how to get over this? I know that I probably do not have a tumor in my brain, but I physically cannot stop thinking that I am okay. I feel like I'm dying of a terminal illness all the time and it sucks, I'm so incredibly scared.

Cognitive behavioural therapy is effective for hypochondria.

If you can see a therapist, that'll be really helpful. If not, you can find many useful CBT exercises in a book called Overcoming Health Anxiety. It's a few bucks on Amazon. If money's tight, however, I can try to hunt down a good free resource.

I was told that therapy can really help, as well.

Hi, I totally get it. I always think theres something wrong with my heart even though I have had 2 EKG's and two chest scans. Everything turned out normal. I get it.

I have medical anxiety, but it is centralized to my heart. I constantly monitor my heart, and have had EKGs, stress tests, and everything has come back normal. However, I continue to worry about my heart relentlessly. I don't know how to stop. My fitbit tells me that when I go to the gym and do weight training or cardio, my heart rate can get up to 181. I am 37 years old, and don't feel like this is accurate, but still lose my mind about it being possible. I am scared that something is wrong.

I am super worried and need someone to help me with this!

Dan, if it's really that out of control, then maybe you need to see a therapist about it. We can tell you, "you're fine" don't worry, because the tests show nothing is wrong. But your anxiety is making you feel differently. Medication (antidepressant) has helped me control my fears but I still have them, however, it isn't nearly as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    Dan, if it's really that out of control, then maybe you need to see a therapist about it. We can tell you, "you're fine" don't worry, because the tests show nothing is wrong. But your anxiety is making you feel differently. Medication (antidepressant) has helped me control my fears but I still have them, however, it isn't nearly as bad.

I still always worry. I do take an antidepressant and an antianxiety.

Is therapy an option for you, Dan? Hypochondria is usually possible to get on top of.