Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Accident

Car Accident

Hi Everyone,

Saturday night I managed to get myself into a pretty serious car crash. I was stupid, trying to text message, and the next thing I knew I’d lost control of the car, oversteered and it rolled. I was doing about 100kph so I was extremely lucky I barely had a scratch on me. I spent the night in hospital and had all the tests done to make sure my head and spine were ok. Several doctors said it was a miracle.

Now I sort of don’t know how to feel. I’ve had some pretty bad anxiety because I’m fairly sure my car will be a write-off and I don’t have the money for another one. I keep trying to think about how much worse it could have been and how cars are replaceable but bodies aren’t. My head just keeps focusing on the bad though eg. How will I get places? How am I going to get another car??

The main moral of the story I guess, is DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE. I’ve had my licence 20 years and never caused an accident. I’ve been told numerous times I’m a good driver. But a few seconds of texting and I was almost a goner (and it was very lucky there weren’t other cars around me).

I’m mostly writing this for my own benefit because it’s the middle of the night and I was in the midst of an anxiety/depression attack. I feel like I could turn this into a positive but as I say, my thoughts keep going to the negative.

Thanks for reading.. Any wise words from my fellow anxiety-sufferers most welcome

Gypsy x

P.S. My signature has new meaning lol. When you see your windscreen hit the road you know fear!
    Last edited by gypsylee; 11-20-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Not only have I never texted while driving - I've never texted at all. I'm not tech savvy.

You're right, gypsylee, you are lucky. It could have been so much worse. Maybe after a while you'll start to feel more lucky than worried.

I'm glad you are OK.

Thanks Mike

I’ve had quite a positive day since writing that.

I think I might be learning the meaning of mindfulness. I normally wake with bad anxiety but I’ve been able to calm down quickly by thinking - “I am here and I am safe.. All the rest is just noise in my head.” I hope I can work with this more!

A sobering experience gypsy. Some things money can't replace. I'm also glad you came out of it the way you have.

Gypsy...thank goodness you are okay. Keep focusing on the fact that the doctors said it was a miracle and it sure sounds like one. Thanks for warning us also. I firmly believe I have issues with things like wanting to send/read a text more than others because of my anxiety. Glad you are trying to keep positive.

Thank you as always, Ponder and Anne.

Anne - Do be really careful with even reading texts. As I say, I can hold my own pretty well in a car and it was nearly the end of me. It was also while I was in a hurry and was annoyed with the person at the other end, so it’s best to make sure you can’t even access it eg. Put it in your bag in the back or even turn it off.

Ponder - Sobering indeed!

Oh and I have a friend who’s a mechanic, who’s selling me a very similar (if not better) car for a great price

Cool

wow, that is great news about the car!!

Is it illegal to hold a phone and drive in Aus?

Yes and I’m getting a big fat fine and demerit points. I was in no state to think up a lie like “I dropped my smoke”