Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Anxiety & cancer

Five days ago my wife was diagnosed with late stage liver cancer and I am in a total anxiety/stress breakdown. She is the most important person in my life and I am also a disabled veteran and rely on her for everything...so I am scared shitless. I have no other family

I had my anxiety and panic under control for over 15 years until this - I can not eat, have not slept in 4 nights and am in the darkest anxiety hell. Like non stop panic punctuated by terror !!

I am meditating 4 to 5 times a day and doing thought control and nothing is working - I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.

Rik I am so sorry , I would react like you. This is absolutely awful.
    Of course you can not meditate, I would be no able either,
    Losing your loved one is the worst thing ever. Do you have any medication on you? It is really good reason to have something. You are the one who is going to support your wife in her journey, Right now you are the one who needs to be strong, Pretending to be strong is good as long as the other one believes it,
    I am so sorry........... I hope more people will give you support and encouragement here, We have a lot of sensitive and awesome members.....you need all support you can get right now
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Rik, sending positive thoughts and meditations to you and your wife. I don’t know how I would react if faced with the same. I do know that you are suffering with her, want to do something to help....I believe we are connected to the ones we love in unexplained ways....I’ve had several experiences...as difficult as it is, force those negative thoughts to the darkest places of your consciousness. Utter, only, positive expressions of your visualizations of her in the sunshine, smiling, laughing, enjoying life...you see her as the strong, healthy and happy woman she is. Hug,S

your post literally brought tears to my eyes. nothing i can contribute but a wish of good luck to you and your wife. and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Five days ago my wife was diagnosed with late stage liver cancer and I am in a total anxiety/stress breakdown. She is the most important person in my life and I am also a disabled veteran and rely on her for everything...so I am scared shitless. I have no other family

I had my anxiety and panic under control for over 15 years until this - I can not eat, have not slept in 4 nights and am in the darkest anxiety hell. Like non stop panic punctuated by terror !!

I am meditating 4 to 5 times a day and doing thought control and nothing is working - I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has.
    I’m so sorry that you are going through this. I’m so sorry about your wife.

I want you to know that you are not alone in this journey, we are right here and we care for you. Please update us. I hope you will stay strong, please take care of yourself because your wife needs you.

I pray for peace and comfort as you and your wife go through this season. Thank you for sharing.

Feeling for you Rik! Whilst I am big on alternative methods, I would more than likely take some form of tranquilizer to aid me in such a time of need. Your situation is a good example of when such drugs can be more helpful than not. That said, do not give up on other alternatives as the medicine is really only for an assist with the potential to make you full time reliant. In your situation I would consider medication to assist in the short term and or possibly semi long with a plan to come off.

Are you seeing a psychologist or an experienced councilor that can help you process and plan for the future? Ensuring you have a number of supports other than just medication will go a long way to helping you stabilize later on and hopefully able to then come off the drugs. Again though, I would for sure be looking to take something to help me sleep as too to help with processing immediate needs ... to slow down the worry and fear ... all those extra thoughts. Professional guidance councilors / truma / Grief Therpists are a huge help in easing up future worries. Even if it's just a friend you can trust.

Keep posting in here if it helps.

~Dave.
    Last edited by Ponder; 12-11-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Hi Rik and welcome

I hope you find some comfort here.

Gypsy x

P.S. I can totally relate to “non stop panic punctuated by terror”, even when there’s nothing external to be scared of, so I really do understand.
    Last edited by gypsylee; 12-11-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer