Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: My Anxiety

My Anxiety

Hey all.

New to this forum and wanted to say hi!

I have had anxiety for years and recently I have been having panic attacks and issues about things that years ago would not have been an issue at all.
    Like for example I have recently started a new job and this week I have had issues with not sleeping and therefore not being able to go to work.

Have any of you ever experienced this?

Please share your thoughts/comments.

Thanks

Martin

Hello Martin!

I am new here as well. I will say I have had my anxiety affect my sleep patterns before. I notice it gets really bad when I feel the next day something big is going to happen I just cant help. For example, when I made the jump from a grunt employee to a lead position my anxiety hit me hard. I stressed way more and I really questioned taking the position, but it has been a year since starting and it is easier now. New things cause me anxiety and I am not sure if that is what may be affecting you. I know mine was from the fact my job responsibilities had changed and I had more of them (so more to stress about. Yay).

Something that helped me overcome the sleepless nights were doing rigorous exercises to tire myself out, drinking a full glass of water before bed, and not using any electronics an hour before bed. Usually I'd read a book or some kind of calming activity.

Hoping you'll find some use from this post and I wish you the best!
    Brooke

Hey guys .... Welcome to both of you! You sound pretty switched on there Brooke. All good tips that I use myself from time to time. Not enough. The forum is lucky to have someone with your insights.

I hear ya loud and clear Martin! Mostly because my perspective is typically having nightmares just attending job interview. Perhaps a different context, but is what came to mind for me when reading your post. My experience is not doing so well under the pressure of most employed positions. I'm sure the pressure felt is dependent on many factors which may vary from one individual to another as well as job positions and those employed and running the place.

Any chance you could share some more details of the job, your temperament, abilities, limitations and so on as it relates to the newly acquired job?

Doing so might help identify some of the causes to your sleep disruption?

Example for me would be working in a place in excessively loud noise with large numbers of people, quick talkers with little time to explain, meeting quotas, expectations of others relying on me to perform for the sake of incentives and or bonuses. That's just a few of like a thousand I could mention. Identifying the pressures/triggers really does go a long way to assisting one come up with coping strategies if one really wants to stick it out.

Once again guys - WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Is a good place where it seems anything goes. Within reason I suppose.

I have trouble sleeping when I'm anxious too. I've also had trouble with being more anxious than I was in the past. I don't know why though.

Hi and welcome to you both
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer