Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by supadan323 View Post
    I'm looking into it now; unfortunately the best place I liked does not take my insurance. I am extending my range on where to go. Do you have any recommendations into what type. I was originally looking for a psychiatrist, but now that my doctor prescribed me medicine; would it be more prudent to just find a psychologist? (They are much easier to find)
    Sorry, I didn't see this post.

CBT is usually a good place to begin. As Im-Suffering mentioned, we anxiety sufferers often pick up a range of faulty beliefs and ineffective thinking habits that keep us feeling stressed out. CBT's aim is to help us find more efficient ways to think and behave. The good thing about CBT is it's a fair bit cheaper than older psychological methods, and even if it turns out not to be the best type of therapy for you, at the very least you'll leave with a better understanding of how your mind works.

Some psychiatrists offer it. Most psychotherapists do.

According to certain studies, the most effective treatment for anxiety is medication + cognitive behavioural therapy.

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalheal...altherapy.aspx

I also remember IMS saying that there there is No Method that will 'join the puzzle' so to speak. One can only work it our for themselves. Methodology may assist with momentum, but ultimately it's where we choose to focus our attention that really counts.

Im going thru a bit of trial and error i guess. From what ive found so far is that each med works totally different on each person unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    I'll just share my experiences. Yes, the antidepressant does help tremendously with anxiety. Unfortunately, it's a trial and error period to find the right one. I like Lexapro because it's a newer, cleaner medication with the fewest side effects.
    If you need additional help, Buspar is good but be sure to take it twice a day. It helps some people, but not others. If your anxiety gets really bad (like mine is now) you may have to add in a benzodiazepine but only use that as a last resort,
    but they are very helpful.
    I was prescribed a Benzo as well as a just in case measure. I have only had to take it once; when it was 4am and nothing was helping me sleep. But mostly the Buspar mixed with Melatonin and Bennedryl have put me to bed. My want is not have to be on a Benzo as I've know those can be very addicting. So Inaeda; have you started a new medication yet?

Medication did nothing for me sadly

I was on medication but it made me feel weird so now I use Mantra Magnets. They're magnets you clip onto your ear lobes that vibrate as a neuro-therapy tool and reset your amygdala. I love them! They really help.

For me, the only thing that used to work was a short term benzo, but doctors here won't prescribe them to new patients. I was totally shocked this year when I had to sign forms to see 1 psychiatrist and psychologist. It was written in the paperwork that they will not prescribe anything narcotic whatsoever. Its really a shame that has happened because not everyone is a drug abuser and drug seeker. Just how it is, I suppose now. IN the US anyway.

Salvator; where in the US are you? My doctor gave me a small prescription for Valium and I even tried to say no, but she insisted stating that I might need it if I have anxiety in the middle of the night. Which she was right. I have had to take them twice in two months, but without them I probably would not of slept at all. I am in Florida (I know Florida and pill abuse...)

zoloft makes me really groggy :-( i can't function well at work

Zoloft worked for a while until it was increased to the max and it just stopped working. I didn't really feel groggy on it.