Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have been trying to do some sort of meditation or just trying to calm my mind for as long a period of time a can as many times as I can. Still working at it; right now when a wave hits it pretty much overwhelms me. Exercise seems to give some temporary relief. I try to do it around 9pm so I can hopefully get to the 10 o'clock hour; which is when it subsides down about 80%.

Hi supadan and welcome. To the forum and anxiety *evil laugh* (Ignore that I’m in a weird mood)

Um, Martin the know-it-all is pretty much right — our brains haven’t quite got the memo yet that no sabre-tooth tigers are lurking around the corner. In a way I’d prefer the tiger because the anxiety we get is so random (those of us prone to it). At least you can put your finger on the damn tiger. I often feel like I’m losing the plot after DECADES of this but I am getting better at not adding what Claire Weekes called the “second (and third etc) fear”, which is the fear of fear. Trust me — if anxiety drove you crazy I’d be in a permanent straight-jacket by now. Anxiety is really uncomfortable; no doubt about it. But it’s the biggest trickster ever and you won’t lose your mind or have a heart attack or whatever. Take a look at my webpage just for the pic of the little Anxiety Monster (some of the other stuff might be useful and you’ve reminded me of a book to list on there - The DARE Response by Barry McDonagh).

Take it easy,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    you’ve reminded me of a book to list on there - The DARE Response by Barry McDonagh.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was very impressed by the massive number of 5 star reviews on amazon and the audio sample, so just bought the audio book.

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    P.s. Make sure to do the relaxation daily. It's effects are cumulative, so you won't see benefits straight away, but should start to see some positive changes after several weeks!
    Oh Martin, you’re so clever! :P

I will definitely take a look at your website. Thanks

Gypsy, what's the premise of the Dare method? Is it something to do with challenging your anxiety to come on strong, and realizing you can handle whatever it throws at you? Just an educated guess from the title lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fashoom View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was very impressed by the massive number of 5 star reviews on amazon and the audio sample, so just bought the audio book.
    Great! You should get a lot out of it and as I say, the audiobook gives you the full Irish accent experience

Quote Originally Posted by supadan323 View Post
    I will definitely take a look at your website. Thanks
    Yeah have a read. I don’t have any professional qualifications but I’ve been battling severe anxiety (and addictive personality) my whole life, so I dare say I know more than some so-called professionals. Hell, I’ve been seeing a psychiatrist for around 20 years because my anxiety is so full-on and so persistent.

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Gypsy, what's the premise of the Dare method? Is it something to do with challenging your anxiety to come on strong, and realizing you can handle whatever it throws at you? Just an educated guess from the title lol.
    Pretty much yeah, hence why I say it’s not “new” — Claire Weekes was onto that decades ago, the cunning old crone.

I saw my doctor today and she prescribed Buspirone 15mg, twice daily. I took a pill at 6pm and I got to say it helped a lot. It brought me from an 8 to a 2. I was loopy for about 15 minutes then lethargic for about two hours, so I don't know if I will be able to take this in the mornings before work. I heard you can have trouble sleeping with this pill, and this is already an issue for me, so we'll see on that end. How long I have to be on it; she does not know. I will have follow ups every two weeks. It feels so good to be happy at night again. I can tolerate being lethargic for 2 hours if I can be happy the rest of the time. Just hope I can sleep.

I will keep updating for anyone who is thinking about this med.