Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scared of taking my medication

Hi guys, I have developed very bad anxiety in the last year and was forced to stop working because I was having a lot of panic attacks. I made a few life chances and I haven't had a panic attack since I stopped working but I still get anxious everyday. I was taking Lexapro for my depression and anxiety but I stopped taking them after about 6 months which i know I shouldn't have done. I decided to go back on them a few weeks ago but for some reason I'm scared to take them. The thought of taking them makes me really anxious even though I know they will help me. I don't know how to change my thinking about my medication. I'm afraid if I take them that I will get so anxious about it that I will have another panic attack.

Please don't be scared to take the medication. If you know it's going to help you, then it's something you need to overcome and do it. Even if you have a panic attack, you can live through it and then after the medication kicks in, your anxiety and depression will be a whole lot better. Last year I cut back on my Lexapro and at first I did great. Then, when it was all out of my system, I became so anxious I couldn't do anything, so I went back on it. If you're afraid of things that you know you shouldn't be afraid of, that's anxiety and it's a whole lot better if you treat it.

Baron, since you're afraid to go back on Lexapro, talk with your doctor about why you fear it and see what he or she says. Weigh the risks and benefits with a qualified medical doctor. Knowledge is power. Learning more about this drug may lower your fears, and if not, then maybe their is another pill that's less risky regarding side effects that could also be just as effective for you.

You be the judge for yourself with regards to what meds work and those that don't. Just because someone is qualified does not mean they know what's best for you. Unless of course you are certified unable? Even then one can question. The fear you feel is often fanned by those who require others to act and feel as they do. Yes make informed choices ... but you be the one to make them and don't just agree with others due to their designation.

You are your own experiment! The day you give total control to doctors is the day you will be hooked for life. You know how you feel when on them. Not the people in here. You know how you feel when off them. Not the people in here. You be the one to weigh up the pros and cons ... even the doctors can not do that! In fact any doctor worth his salt will tell you that.

What coping strategies did you implement when coming off and off the meds?
    This is something you failed to tell us, although in this section not many people wish to discuss. For most it's all about the type of medication, doses and credentials of professionals to whom they are quick to give the last say.

Did you alter your diet? What kind of diet are you on? How active are you? Do you have psychical Disabilities? Are you seeing a therapist to assist with relationships and emotional stability? What factors are in your life causing you to angst? Start getting real with the true nature of your symptoms as opposed to focusing on the symptoms. Do you live in a concrete jungle, surrounded by millions of people? Have you tried exposing yourself to nature ... tried natural therapies? Again ... if you really want to come off the meds than there is PLENTY treatments other than meds. Do you want to come off meds? What strategies have you tried and how hard did you try?????

Otherwise you can continue to focus on the symptoms and let the doctors and others in here lead you onto various other meds.

Is that what you really want. If so ... nothing wrong with that. That's your choice. Just as it is with anyone who chooses to take whatever meds.

Ultimately - Take the pills ... keep taking them and if in fact like me and millions of others ... you do in fact wind up having yet another panic attack ... then you can make a another choice ... More Pills or Something Else? Your choice. It's simple and easy. Don't let others fan your flames. You choose which road to take.

You can tread the anxiety without the pills. That's your choice as well!
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-11-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Ive been having the same issue. I was prescribed Paxil which I have read on some pretty scary stories of withdrawal or accidentally missing a dose or two and what side effects that causes. So i havent taken it since it was given to me a month ago. Does anyone have experience with Paxil?

I didn't like Paxil like I do the Lexapro I take now, because Paxil has a tendency for some to gain weight. (I did) As far as withdrawal, you just have to slowly taper off when it's time to get off. As far as missing a dose, if it's too far along, you just wait until the next night and get back on track. The antidepressants like Paxil are different from drugs like Xanax, so don't get those two mixed up. Talk to your doctor.

Paxil made me much (MUCH) worse in fact. Yeah, I was put back on medication this year due to crisis situations. Several actually while in the hospital. I wish I could say they helped me and I'm better, but I'm far from stable to tell you the truth.

Anne1221.. You any experience with Saphris? I was told it was a wonder drug and would really make a difference and I only took 2 pills and was pretty much zonked out and stopped.

Sorry for going off topic and good luck, baron

No experience with Saphris as I don't have the conditions it treats...schizophrenia or bipolar with mania. My big problem is anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    No experience with Saphris as I don't have the conditions it treats...schizophrenia or bipolar with mania. My big problem is anxiety.
    Thanks Anne. Its to treat my bipolar and mania. Actually, my official diagnosis is bipolar with mixed features. I was many years back also diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, but that was years ago and I don't truly trust that diagnosis anyway. I don't know what to say, but I know I'm FAR from stable currently. I don't have a good team of doctors and therapists taking care of me. Bad anxiety as you and doctors will under no circumstances prescribe a benzo (states so in the paperwork new patients have to sign - no narcotics to new patients)

Anyways.. thanks again

There may be a reason your body is telling you to be afraid of that particular medication. Please talk to your doctor about what you are feeling and while you’re doing research on the medication, keep in mind that every body Is different....you are you’re best advocate.