Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Noise Anxiety Tips?

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can give me tips for noise anxiety. I have always enjoyed "quiet" but my fiance and I adopted a parrot about 10 months ago (great decision right?! ). I didn't really realize at the time how much anxiety this would cause me but my fiance loves this parrot and I am a believer in pets are forever so rehoming him isn't really an option. The problem is, sometimes he's extremely noisy!! It's the screeching that really gets me. It causes my anxiety to sky rocket. Some days are better or worse than others. Has anyone had any successful treatments for noise anxiety? I am not currently on any medications except lorazepam as needed. I was on Cipralex 10mg for almost a year but I honestly didn't feel any different on it so I stopped taking it. Sometimes when I'm very stressed I will go lie down in the bedroom (it's a bit quieter in there) and practice breathing techniques but it doesn't relieve it as much as I'd like it to. I'd really like to learn to live in harmony with our new pet. I have discussed it with my psychologist but she honestly didn't really give me any tips except to say that some people are just more sensitive to noise than others. Please help! TIA

Ensure that all prerequisites are met to house the bird. Despite claims that parrots like to make lots of noise, they will make more is there needs are not met.

Indoor or Outdoor?

Consistent Screeching means something is wrong with the bird and or it's environment:

This is a big one → At night use a cover to enclose the bird. Depending on environment and temps you may either need to fully cover or partially. Careful of material you use. Research. Providing some kind of cover gives the bird security. Birds get anxiety too.
    Having the housing cover in the morning can reduce the amount of early morning noise as well as postpone it by an hour or two. Just be sure to cover and uncover at the same time each night and morning. Routine is important when using this method.

Consider the Position of Housing? To much wind, not enough breeze, too much or not enough sun can affect the environment and birds overall physical and mental health. Research the optimal position of bird housing to your species of bird.

Feed? Ensure the right types of food are supplies and do so at the same times each day. Hungry birds are noisy birds.

Play things? Birds need stimulation too. Bored birds get frustrated. Depressed and frustrated. Some birds are not meant to be on their own. Research Temperament and ensure all facets are being met.

Personal attention? All animals like companionship - with others of their own kind and or their owners.

Parrots also have certain times of the year where they become more agitated. Again research temperament ... join and browse a forum related to your specific bird and explain the situation. You'll more than likely get a similar response as to this ... but with more in depth options for you to check / implement.

You can always use ear plugs and of course a GP will give you pills on a whim; but this will do little for the bird. You might be surprised that ensuring all of the above may improve the situation where the bird only squawks at nominal levels and at more acceptable times of the day.

I have owned birds before and suffered with noise early on. But once I made sure I was incorporating all of the above elements and above all ... keeping a consistent routine going ... I was surprised at how much the noise level went down. I actually ended up getting a companion bird as well as ensuring adequate space was met for the extra bird + again all of the above for the then 2 birds.

Make friends with the bird ... they know when others develop a bias towards them. You won't elliminate the noise completely ... but you will notice at least the levels will drop and also you'll appreciate the happier tone. The latter alone makes for a softer and more tolerable tone.

Hope some of that information helps?
    Last edited by Ponder; 10-12-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Earplugs. I’ve been wearing them when I sleep since I was married (many moons ago) and my husband snored like crazy. They do vary in comfort and effectiveness a fair bit so I have one brand I stick with (and they’re available in supermarkets here). These are the ones:

https://www.macksearplugs.com/produc...oam-ear-plugs/

Good luck.. Noise is one thing that sends my anxiety through the roof as well
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

How's the screeching Going? Your bird still screaming?

Thanks for the replies so far. I do currently sleep with earplugs in as well, my fiance breathes loud and it drives me insane. It's more during the day and early evening that I get anxiety from the parrot.

Ponder, thank you for your detailed reply. He is an inside bird but we wheel his cage outside on to the patio several times a week for a few hours so he can enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. I guess I should have been more specific though, he doesn't "scream" per say. He just contact calls a lot, and some days he's noisier than others, and some days it's causes my anxiety to spike a lot more than others as well. I think overall he's quite happy, sometimes when he's out he'll just start screeching and rolling around on the floor and while it's funny, if I'm having a bad day it can really trigger me. I know he's just doing his parrot thing so that's why I was hoping for some coping techniques. He's also learned a tonne of words since we got him which makes me thinks he's happy and I don't mind when he talks. We do cover him at night and he has like a million toys that we rotate weekly. :grin: I guess we could try a stricter routine, he goes to bed at 8pm everynight, but maybe feeding etc. Thank you for your advice.

Yw. I wish I could have a bird. My partner is not so keen on pets any more.

I hope things get better soon. Your bird is fortunate to have good owners. I also have ear plugs I use from time to time.