Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Help

Help

I'm in high school and tomorrow I'm supposed to go on this dumb retreat thing where we stay overnight. Right now I'm having a panic attack because none of my friends are going and all of the popular kids are going. What do I do? This is so nervewracking to me and I'll stay up all night having anxiety over it.

Hey and welcome

Just think - it’s only one night. You can survive anything for a night. Also, something I’ve noticed after dealing with anxiety for 40 odd years is the anticipation is nearly always worse than the actual event. If you stay up all night with anxiety over it at least you’ll be tired at the retreat.

Take it easy

Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Why are you being forced to go? Are you in a home for troubled children or something? Foster Home? Sounds a little strange for parents to force a child into such a position given the extent of your extreme anxiety? Perhaps you should protest and cause your parents a little anxiety. You could even protest your position of being forced to go during camp. That way they will be sure to keep you separated from most of the activities and you could then really show your parents how much of a prison trip it really be. This advice may sound extreme, but I think it's more proactive than beating yourself up over it. At least people will see how you really feel about being force against your will.

You can protest without having to get all wound up ... just do it passively by refusing to co-operate. Don't Go. Don't get on the Bus. I guess it depends on just how willing you are to do something about it. What steps have you taken to let others know just how you really feel ... other than posting in here?

Sometimes taking the easy way is not the best way at all.