Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Ativan

Ativan

Has anyone experienced feeling down after taking ativan? Are there benzo's you can take on an as needed basis without the downer effect?

I have never taken Ativan, but I thought all benzos you could take on an as needed basis, unlike antidepressants which you must take every day. I asked my doctor one time if Benzodiazepines can cause you to feel depressed and he explained it this way: When you take away the anxiety, sometimes what you are left with is the depression. So for me, since I take a benzodiazepine to manage my anxiety, I also take an antidepressant to manage my depression.

You could try Klonopin as that one seems to be much more widely prescribed than the others. I don't know why but that's the one my primary care doctor uses.

Thanks Anne1221...may ask doc about Klonopin

I don't take Klonopin myself, but an older one called Tranxene because that's one I'm familiar with. I HATE taking it and sure wish I didn't need it, but unfortunately I do need it. Just be sure to watch for getting dependent on it, or tolerance to it. Try your best to make it without benzos and only use them as a last, last resort, or as sparingly as possible. Like all medications they have down sides and side effects. I got to the point where my primary care doctor told me, "You are someone who needs the Tranxene." I think she got tired of seeing all my trips to the emergency room for anxiety.