Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about getting a dog

Not sure where to post this but figure here would be good. So recently moved 6 months ago with husband and been dealing with anxiety and not wanting to leave the house by myself and get lonely and depressed being home, by myself when husband at work so been thinking about getting a dog to help me feel better and get me out of the house. Was wondering has getting a pet help with your anxiety depression and get you moving and generally make you feel better.

Yep. Just be sure to get one that your going to get along with. When you get a pet, you should be getting it with the intention to keep it for the duration of its entire life span. It's cruel to just get a pet to feel good but then only give it up only after a few months because things did not turn out well. I know because I have done it.

Pets have a lot to offer in the way of unconditional love, yet people treat them as mere 'animals.' They are so much more.

Research the breeds. Don't be too worried about cross breeds. It's more the owners and how they treat and provide for their pets that sets overall temperament when it comes to social dynamics.

If your renting though, pets will severely set back the options when it comes to relocating. Bread selection may be a factor as well as inside and outside pets. Keep that in mind if renting.

Dogs for sure make awesome companion pets! It's a huge decision though. Way too many people take it lightly.

Regretfully we did when we were younger and we have regretted taking on then passing our previous dogs on due to rental issues. It was very sad. We learnt from it and the next time we got one we have kept it for life. He is now 14. He has been with us through thick and thin as we have in turn done the same for him.

Wishing you all the best if indeed you do decide to try one on. Oh yea ... some places these days will let you try one on for size; as in take one home for a couple of weeks and see how you all get along. Not sure what places, but somthing I once saw on the box and thought was a good idea. Perhaps some animal shelters allow for such of thing.

Other may know ... hopefully you will get a few responses.

But YEA ... Dog and other animals help when it comes to companionship and companionship helps us all with stability ... no matter what kind of being.

Good luck.

Mental illness sucks cos it ushers you into solitude. And the solitude doesn't really do you any good.

I've always found having pets around the house to be a help. I don't have a dog, but a cat. It's nice having another living creature here. Helps pull me out of my deep thinking. Plus it's really relaxing just to sit with her.

If I were in your shoes, I'd deffo be tempted to get a dog. As long as you're prepared to accept the long-term commitment and changes to your habits (like the regular walks). Maybe a friend or neighbour has a dog you could babysit for a day or two, just to see how pet ownership jives with you?

I recommend you buy a dog so you can get rid of depression and insomnia daily and also that the dog is a friend and in very and you can train and rely on it in many things

I find that having dogs lowers stress considerably. If you're ready to commit to the responsibility of caring for a dog, I would recommend getting one.

Definitely been talking to my dad and my husband about it and both of them thinking it is a good idea as long as im taking care of it responsibility and all. I know that it is a lot of responsibility and all and I plan to make it work. Plus I will have this loveable furry friend to spend time with and help get me out of the apartment and hopefully ease my anxiety and depression. I have had a couple dogs when I lived with my parents, as well. So I know to fed them give em water pick up there poop and walk them play with them etc.

Just wanted to say thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I have a dog, a small one. He's unbelievable! We have had him for over 5 years now, and I recently started having anxiety again... and my dog has noticed. He cuddles with me a lot more now and pays attention to me, especially in the morning. He seems to know/understand when I need him close by. He's a natural! (He's also alerted my diabetic mother when her blood sugar plummeted...he's not trained for that, he just did it).

Dogs are amazing animals.

I adopted a boxer girl and she helps me tremendously.. def not a cure but she’s a big motivation for me

Hi Worriergirl,

Yes. Dogs can help immensely. The trick, though, is to get a dog that you would feel comfortable having inside your house and sleeping with. Otherwise, you won’t spend enough time with it for your anxiety to decrease. Beware that keeping 2 or more pets together can lead to a fight between them and they can end up biting you accidentally.