Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Thread: Starting Celexa

Question Starting Celexa

So my doctor as part of therapy wants to put me on Celexa and I'm a bit worried.

I've been having mild to moderate panic (no true attacks, but just fleeting kind of mini panic attacks) and agoraphobia since I had a major panic attack about a year and a half ago.

I was okay for a while but now the agoraphobia is starting to ramp back up.

I've heard with SSRIs they can make symptoms worse for a couple of weeks before they get better. How much worse will Celexa make my anxiety? Will it be so bad that I can't function for 2 weeks until it goes away, or will it just be mildly worse?

I was on 40 mgs of Citalopram (Generic Celexa) for about 7-8 years and had absolutely no bad side effects.
    I stopped taking it because it seemed to be losing it's effectiveness which I am told is common being on the same drug for a long time.
    I am now on 150 mgs of Zoloft but if I needed to I would not have a problem going back on the Citalopram. (It is on the $4/$10 drug list)

Here's hoping the Celexa works for you with no issues.

There is no evidence it actually makes you worse. You feel worse because you are anxious about taking a new medication. It actually isn't doing much of anything the first two weeks but you do feel the side effects of the new medication. Just put up with the side effects at the beginning and after 4-8 weeks you should be feeling a lot less anxious and more free to do things. If after 8 weeks you haven't seen any big improvement in how you feel see your doctor because things should be much better.

I had a bad reaction to prozac (physical-- racing heartbeat, not good when you're feeling anxious, or trying to sleep); I have been on cylexa for the past 9 years, with no ill effects.

*edit: the only ill effect that I had was physical-- I has gastrointestinal upset. It took about 3 weeks to work for me, If I remember cortectly, but it wasn't a magical "pop" moment: it began to affect me slowly, until I finally felt better entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne1221 View Post
    There is no evidence it actually makes you worse. You feel worse because you are anxious about taking a new medication. It actually isn't doing much of anything the first two weeks but you do feel the side effects of the new medication. Just put up with the side effects at the beginning and after 4-8 weeks you should be feeling a lot less anxious and more free to do things. If after 8 weeks you haven't seen any big improvement in how you feel see your doctor because things should be much better.
    The nocebo effect. Opposite of the placebo effect.

You believe something will make you worse, or worry about it making you worse, so you end up feeling bad. Happened to me when I started Celexa way back when. I was feeling fine, the read the side effect leaflet and went into a weekend-long panic.

The power of the mind, eh?!

tcush89 i started celexa today and i wanted to know your feedback on it. Are you still on it? How long did it take you to feel effects? Any feedback would be great

I started on Celexa many years ago and loved it from the beginning. I did not experience any side effects at all. I have not had a panic attack since starting it. I am now experiencing constant worry and my MD would like me to wean from celexa and begin generic Effexor. Does anyone have thoughts on that? I'm concerned a/b the side effects I've been reading about.
    Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adkellstrom View Post
    tcush89 i started celexa today and i wanted to know your feedback on it. Are you still on it? How long did it take you to feel effects? Any feedback would be great
    I actually haven't started it yet I was hoping I could just get by with therapy, but my anxiety is still really bad. So, I'm starting the Celexa tomorrow. I know this is an old thread now but I'll try to post some updates. How has Celexa been working for you?

And Lisa50, my aunt took Effexor for a while. She didn't have any bad effects with it (going on or off). She took it for hot flashes rather than for a mood or anxiety disorder, so no equitable comment on how well it worked.
    Last edited by tcush89; 02-21-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Please take it and give it four weeks and see if you feel better. I take Lexapro, which is similar to Celexa. My doctor always tells me to give each new antidepressant I try 4 weeks to judge it. Prozac and Paxil made me gain weight so now I take Lexapro.
    It is very helpful for my anxiety. The side effects you see at the beginning will taper off. After six weeks, your body get used to it, but you may still have some side effects like drowsiness. At that point, if it's helping enough, stay on it. If not, get your doctor to help you taper off it. it's worth a try.