Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skipped Heart beats and fear

Hi I am new here and was wondering if anyone else has skipped heart beats? Do you think it is from fear or anxiety, I am so aware of every beat and palipitation. I have had them for years but sometimes they get worse.

Hi bonni and welcome!
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Have you used an AKG at all to verify that these are missed heartbeats? Your heart can have occasional "hiccups" in which the beats seem to double up, and this feels very much like your heart skipping. Not until I wore one for a week did I know for sure that it was not skipping, just slowing down and catching itself up, which I found out feels VERY odd, but is not medically damaging or worrisome.

IF you have begun taking a new medication and are feeling this, go to urgent care-- I had to do this for racing heartbeat yesterday, and they ended up taking me off of a newly proscribed anti depressant because this was actually a rare side effect.

Hi yes i have ekg ecg dye tests Its the same thing they say its nothing. it doesnt feel like nothing

Smile Extra Heart Beats

Quote Originally Posted by bonni View Post
    Hi I am new here and was wondering if anyone else has skipped heart beats? Do you think it is from fear or anxiety, I am so aware of every beat and palipitation. I have had them for years but sometimes they get worse.
    Hi Bonni,

For me it feels like an extra beat, which started last year. I ended up in the ER because I was so worried that I made my heart race. I was under a lot of self stress and had had some wine that evening. I had felt faint.
    Everything was negative, they checked for Heart attack too.
    I did get a monitor and did a stress test and ecco and found out I did have an extra beat from my heart chamber. My heart is healthy and I've tried to reduce triggers which may contribute to extra heart beats.
    It's always good to get everything checked out medically, so you can rule out any problems.
    Thanks for sharing. Irma~

Bonnie, how long have you had anxiety issues? And have you had skipped heart beats before having issues with anxiety?

Did they mention PVCs or PACs?.....I love it when your heart is shooting out hiccups and the cardiologist tells you its benign and not to worry. I ended up in the ER 3 or 4 times due to "hiccups" (PVCs), every time sent home with normal results. Cardio will prescribe a beta blocker if it gets to a point I can't tolerate them.

hi gypsy lee thank you

yes skipped beats before anxiety

Skipped beats are pretty common and can get worse when you are stressed. If they become bothersome and interfere with your quality of life, then medication may be prescribed which may help. I would also practice relaxation techniques.