Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Lexapro first week

I am on my 4th day of Lexapro 5mg. I used to fall asleep quite easily but my sleep was pretty bad (would wake up many times during the night from my heart beating too fast) and now I can't seem to even fall asleep. I was on Remeron before that (only for 6 days) so maybe because that drug made me sleep non stop, quitting it caused insomnia? Or is this Lexapro side effect? Does it go away with time?

I am on day two of Lexipro. My Dr advised to take it in the AM as it can keep you awake. He also prescribed me Trazadone for my sleep. The Trazadone has helped- I wake up several times in the night but my mind isn't racing like crazy. I have been feeling a little sleepy during the day though.

It made me have heart palpitations and worse anxiety so I quit taking it after two days.

The side effects do go away over time, or at least subside. Lexapro takes time to build up in your system so you won't see the good effects until weeks 3 and 4. Most likely you'll have bad effects at the beginning because you're so anxious about taking the drug,
    but the only way to know if it will help or not is to go through 4 weeks of taking it, and if you don't feel any better, then talk to your doctor.

As with any medications we need time in order to see where it's going.