Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Hybrid View

Anxiety of something else? Not sure need some help

Hello I am 29 from SC. In the past year i have had two traumatic events happen to people that I love. I have had depression spells in the past year but nothing this serious. Usually I can just sleep them off and be ok but not now. For the past few months I have been having anxiety attacks. There are new to me as I have never had them before. I'm not sure what triggers them sometimes its sitting at home other times its out to dinner. I am looking for some help on how to handle this. What works for everyone? I know everyone is different just looking for some suggestion on things or what you did to help cope.

Thanks
    Last edited by adkellstrom; 08-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

A book I've found helpful is The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It talks about everything from relaxation exercises to diet changes, thinking errors and even medication. It's worth a read regardless of whether you're taking an holistic approach to your anxiety or are taking meds.

A few things I've taken from the book include writing about traumatic events as a way to gain closure, changing my diet to one that stabilizes blood sugar levels, doing daily relaxation exercises, and logging my anxiety attacks so I can discover possible triggers.

thank you so much Martin05 i will def have to check that out.

Yeah, it's worth putting on the shelf. Even after 10 years, I still flick through it now and again, just to make sure I'm covering the basics.

Do you have any particular anxiety symptoms that stand out, or is it just the usual heart palps, dizziness and fear?

I've had heart palps, dizziness, sweating palms, swelling throat, fear, worrying, and stomach issues.

Ah the classics! Have you had any talking therapy? CBT/ACT are both pretty effective when it comes to anxiety treatment. You can find worksheets in the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, but it's usually easier when somebody trained is guiding you through it.

I havent had any talking therapy but, sometimes it feels like I am having a heart attack which freaks me out even more.

Hey and welcome to AF
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Thanks gypslyee