Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parents not Allowing Medication

Hi. I've been diagnosed with depression/anxiety by both a doctor and a therapist. They have both recommended and prescribed medication, but my parents aren't comfortable with me taking it. They instead wanted me to get more sleep, eat healthier, and work out, all of which I have done. It's made no difference. Any thoughts or advice on what to say to them? I don't know how to convince them that medication is a good idea.
    Thanks,
    Mary

Anti-depressants have a bad rap. They're often in the news, and rarely for the right reasons. It's no surprise lots of people are sceptical of them.

You should try explaining to your parents just how much you're suffering, and just how much this condition is affecting your life. When your parents understand this, and understand your doctor thinks medication will help you, they may be more open to the idea of you taking it. After all, nobody likes seeing loved ones suffer.

Unfortunately, mental problems don't get the respect they deserve. We'll move mountains for a person on crutches, but when somebody's mind becomes a tad unstable, we tell them to toughen up or sleep it off.
    Last edited by martin05; 08-11-2017 at 02:11 AM.

your parents are right, There is so many side effects. My friends daughter (15) years old is on meds , constantly changed meds, and they are not helping............young people have such good mechanism of coping with right therapist they do not start their life with meds.
    Of course there are some mental diseases, that require daily medication.
    How old are you? probably very young. You need to see people, to get out, to play, to move, and good therapist can help you with fear and anxiety
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Anti-depressants have a bad rap. They're often in the news, and rarely for the right reasons. It's no surprise lots of people are sceptical of them.

You should try explaining to your parents just how much you're suffering, and just how much this condition is affecting your life. When your parents understand this, and understand your doctor thinks medication will help you, they may be more open to the idea of you taking it. After all, nobody likes seeing loved ones suffer.

Unfortunately, mental problems don't get the respect they deserve. We'll move mountains for a person on crutches, but when somebody's mind becomes a tad unstable, we tell them to toughen up or sleep it off.
    Hi Martin,

I don't think antidepressants have a bad rap at all. Most of the warnings to do with antidepressants point to the complacency of individuals that that both prescribe and use them. It's not only antidepressants that the context of such warnings are aimed towards. Chemical solutions for lifestyle relates problems is actually an epidemic. Additionally whilst there is comfort in forums like these when discussing medications, it's as much part of the problem when it comes to novice prescriptions. The latter being one of the many dynamics that play into complacency that thrives on peoples tenancy for a quick fix without wishing to do any of the work as previously discussed in another recent thread. Oh woes me ... I'm just going to pray for a fix. Same shit different channel. I'm talking about the subdynamic, not the religion.

That's said, that same problem rife in relgion is part and parcel of the "bad rap" to which you refer. It's not about the meds or the scripts/ure but the attitudes of people using them. Just as it's said that guns don't kill people; people kill people. Same analogy with technology.

Eisenstein was quite correct ... we now have a generation of idiots. Don't take it personally, it's been that way for a few quite generations now.
    "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

It's the way we are using them that is being questioned.
    Last edited by Ponder; 08-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    Hi Martin,

I don't think antidepressants have a bad rap at all. Most of the warnings to do with antidepressants point to the complacency of individuals that that both prescribe and use them. It's not only antidepressants that the context of such warnings are aimed towards. Chemical solutions for lifestyle relates problems is actually an epidemic. Additionally whilst there is comfort in forums like these when discussing medications, it's as much part of the problem when it comes to novice prescriptions. The latter being one of the many dynamics that play into complacency that thrives on peoples tenancy for a quick fix without wishing to do any of the work as previously discussed in another recent thread. Oh woes me ... I'm just going to pray for a fix. Same shit different channel. I'm talking about the subdynamic, not the religion.

That's said, that same problem rife in relgion is part and parcel of the "bad rap" to which you refer. It's not about the meds or the scripts/ure but the attitudes of people using them. Just as it's said that guns don't kill people; people kill people. Same analogy with technology.

Eisenstein was quite correct ... we now have a generation of idiots. Don't take it personally, it's been that way for a few quite generations now.
    "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

It's the way we are using them that is being questioned.
    Well, by bad rap, I mean the media love using them to stir up controversy. That was something we saw more of in the past, but perceptions are hard to change.

I remember the media insinuating anti-depressants were the reason for various high school shootings, like Columbine, and I remember them being brought into the equation when Princess Diana's driver (who was taking Prozac) crashed that car. In fact, if you listened solely to the media, you'd believe anti-depressants were a devil drug that would make you murderous, suicidal and brain dead.

I think an honest discussions about medication's pros and cons is a good thing. Unfortunately, many just blindly follow stereotypes fed to them by somebody else. I'm not suggesting the OP's parents are like that, though that may be one possibility for their not allowing her to take the medicine she believes will help her.
    Last edited by martin05; 08-11-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Watch 'Genius " it is tv show about him , fantastic watch
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Thanks for the reply martin ... I think it's safe to say that we both know it's not the medicine that's 'evil.'

Where can you find it, Dahila? I like his quote "It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer." I try and always keep that in mind.

@ Ponder: Np!

I agree with martin05's assessment.

My dad was often the same in the beginning. He just never had any experience with mental health issues so would say things like "just cheer up!" The way I explained it to my dad is some people just don't have enough serotonin in their systems. If I had a cut, we wouldn't ignore it. We'd treat it appropriately. Mixing working out, hanging out with friends, sleeping, eating healthy, AND medicine saved my life a few years back.