Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good day

Good day

Hi Everyone!

Just another anxiety stricken newbie here!!

Im from South Africa, Cape Town!

Ive been struggling with my anxiety for about 4 years now. Hope to learn a lot as I have already by browsing this forum

Liftmeister!

Hello and Welcome to the Forum Liftmeister!

You got any hobbies or activities you like doing that helps to calm the nerves a little?

I'm back into walking with my camera again. I've got a lot of hobbies that I chop and change from time to time.

Meditation is another one that I find very beneficial as well.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Hi ponder

Thanks for the welcome!

Other than my daily Job im a flamenco guitarist, picking up my guitar used to help abit but now things are getting too bad. I have been using Alzam 1mg (Benzo) since I was diagnosed with GAD just over 3 years ago. I wasn't using it everyday so I did not become "Dependent" on them as yet, only used when the anxiety became too much, however as of late I think the past 4 weeks ive been using them everyday to fall asleep at night as ive had the flu and my anxiety just spiraled out of control.

So 2 friends I know are on an SSRI called serdep (Sertreline), its the same as Zoloft I think and they swear by it

I think I just want to get off the benzo's as I fear getting hooked and of course id like to get on something with more stability.

I'm sure you'll make more friends in here with whom you will find similarities. I've been on Zoloft and many more medication for years. I also swore by them, but eventually for me I ended up worse than when I started. The perception of stability varies from one person to the next in the same way foods and medication interact. I'm sure you will gravitate to people and coping strategies that you think is best. I've come to find it's a personal journey that requires lived experience that never stops learning. Each to their own and in good time.

Flamenco guitarist hey. Nice! I've got a guitar but still have not picked up it for years running now. I do like to play although I don't know many tunes. I tend to get OCD with it which in itself is fine when I am in the right mood. Every now and then I toy with the idea of searching for and downloading TablEdit or guitar pro. I just find it hard to find picking songs that resonate with me. Too many dogmatic tunes to sift through although can be worth it to find those few that really sing. Especially ones I have never heard of before and are devoid of lyrics.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Hi Liftmeister,

A flamenco guitarist? That's pretty cool.

I can understand you wanting to switch to a different med. Benzos are useful, but aren't ever really going to improve your condition.

Before starting on an SSRI, you might want to try incorporating daily relaxation into your schedule. There's a lot of evidence that suggests something like daily mindfulness practice or visualisation-based relaxation practice can make a big difference when it comes to mood. Meditation has always seemed to worsen my anxiety, unfortunately, so I practice a relaxation exercise from the book Psychocybernetics. But you could choose anything that jives with you.

Ponder

I couldn't leave my guitar for a few days even when I really don't feel like playing, its another profession and I do concerts and gigs quite often. Flamenco on the other hand can cause anxiety lol. the style is so intricate so when im struggling with a certain technique or piece it flares up my anxiety extremely, it sucks but I guess that's the only bearable part!
    You should pick up that guitar, playing is always an escape from reality especially with our common issue so you definitely cant go wrong

Martin

Thank you, ill look into that book. ive got a few questions that ill post in the correct forum wrt the SSRI

I tell you what ... I am downloading a couple of thousand tabs now and will see if I can find something that has a nice tune. I normally learn from Tabledit but will give guitar pro a try. I like to pick my songs more than strum. Tabledit was good for that. Hopefully guitar pro can help me out with picking too. Do you have any videos or recordings you would be willing to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    I tell you what ... I am downloading a couple of thousand tabs now and will see if I can find something that has a nice tune. I normally learn from Tabledit but will give guitar pro a try. I like to pick my songs more than strum. Tabledit was good for that. Hopefully guitar pro can help me out with picking too. Do you have any videos or recordings you would be willing to share?
    Of course. Im just abit busy now but ill send you some links etc later. i teach guitar as well, although i don't do any online courses as yet. But ive got 6 students. 4 of them are beginners and the other 2 im teaching Rumba (Rhythm)/ flamenco. as soon as i get chance ill send. while youre at it check out Vicente Amigo and Antonio Rey to get an idea of what actual Flamenco is, maybe youll like it- Google: Vicente Amigo Bulerias or Antonio Rey Solea

Theyre the masters!!

Here man ... → My Guitar Post ← Thanks to you. All I got to do now is practice like I have been with meditation. Thanks for the inspiration.

Welcome to the forum.