Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Increasing Dosage?

I've been taking Lexapro 5mgs for 5 weeks and based on the level of my anxiety and panic, my doctor said I need to start taking 10s. I'm very scared to up my dosage. I tried to take a 10 last week and could not lay in bed I was so anxious. I ended up pacing around for 6-7 hours at night until I felt better.

Any tips on how to survive the first few days of a new dosage? I'm optimistic that it'll be helpful in the future. Just scared right now.

Three things that have always helped me:

1. Spend time around supportive, understanding people. Use the forum as much as possible. Make use of the chat feature.

2. Expend energy. Take a gentle bike ride or a 45-minute walk every day.

3. Ask your doctor for a few benzos. You don't have to take them, but it can be comforting to know you have something that will end your suffering should it get too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Three things that have always helped me:

1. Spend time around supportive, understanding people. Use the forum as much as possible. Make use of the chat feature.

2. Expend energy. Take a gentle bike ride or a 45-minute walk every day.

3. Ask your doctor for a few benzos. You don't have to take them, but it can be comforting to know you have something that will end your suffering should it get too extreme.
    I love these suggestions! Luckily my bf is off work this week so if I start today I'll be five days in by the time Monday rolls around. He's had to take some calls this morning so the forum has been helpful to scroll through.

Doctor gave me a prescription for some xanax, so I have it as a "just in case". I've never taken it though so I'm a bit worried. Therapist gave me some guidelines on to try like 3 coping mechanisms when I start feeling bad and if they don't work not to be around to take a benzo.

Finally, for some reason my anxiety has been making me terrified of working out and even walking sometimes. That's something I need to work on.

5 mg is the dosage they give you just to get started but not a therapeutic dosage at all. 10 mg will help you much more! Don't be afraid. Some people take 20 mg
    and I just weaned myself down from 20 mg to 15 mg because of a weight gain. It is so helpful for the anxiety.

If your anxiety is so bad you are terrified of working out then you need the 10 mg. Do not let the anxiety keep you from doing the things that will help you, like taking the medication or getting exercise.

My doctor suggested breaking my 10s into two 5s and taking one in the morning and one at night rather than the 10 at once which shocked my system too much. Might have some insomnia tonight, but hoping I can work my way through any of the bad side effects for some anxiety relief.

That sounds like a good idea. I hope all goes well for you.

How's everything going so far, JJ?

Doing okay! On day 3. No insomnia like I was expecting. Some general anxiety present, but haven't felt totally panicked or overwhelmed since I started.

Panic makes me a bit agoraphobic so I made myself see some friends last night and am trying to force myself out of the house currently. Here to read for a bit to get myself out the door though

Quote Originally Posted by jjh333 View Post
    Doing okay! On day 3. No insomnia like I was expecting. Some general anxiety present, but haven't felt totally panicked or overwhelmed since I started.

Panic makes me a bit agoraphobic so I made myself see some friends last night and am trying to force myself out of the house currently. Here to read for a bit to get myself out the door though
    That's good to hear. I've always found increasing dose is much easier than starting a new pill.

Today must be, what, day 6?

On day 8 now! Still have a bit of general anxiety, but have only gotten panicky a little bit. Nothing full blown since last week. Physical symptoms feel better, but maybe a tad weird feeling to get used to still.