Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Someone please tell me this is crap

A book I was reading mentioned in passing that a recent study had show n that benzos interfere with the positive effects of mindfulness ( no details)

This hasn't been my experience but it upset me more tha n it should have done and my anxiety has spiked.

Someone please tell me its not true

It's news to me
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    It's news to me
    Thanks for the reassurance

I have an unfortunate tendency to believe what I read

Mindfulness is only as good as the cup that contains it. Short lived experiences are often associated with lack of lived experience. The best way to sustain the benifits that come from living in the moment is to find the answers for yourself. Often this means allowing yourself to stumble through the unkown all by yourself.

Of course a little encouragement goes a long way.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

Great explanation !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    Mindfulness is only as good as the cup that contains it. Short lived experiences are often associated with lack of lived experience. The best way to sustain the benifits that come from living in the moment is to find the answers for yourself. Often this means allowing yourself to stumble through the unkown all by yourself.

Of course a little encouragement goes a long way.

I was a bit tired last night so left a short reply. I actually find benzos make me pretty mindful I joke, but yeah I've said before that we in the West have grown up in such a toxic culture that it's pretty much impossible to be like a Buddhist monk or something (unless you're EXTREMELY devoted like Tara Brach and the like). So you do the best you can with the cards you've been dealt, and if you need benzos or whatever to get through the night then so be it. I've done a ton of reading on Eastern religions and even saw the current Dalai Lama in 1995, and still take SSRIs AND benzos to ward off my cravings for alcohol.

Technically benzos might affect the same neurotransmitters that mindfulness practice affects but what we currently know about the brain is just the tip of the iceberg. The main thing is the overall effect. Kind of what Ponder said.

Take it easy BB (I still have to resend that email!)

Gypsy x

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylee View Post
    I was a bit tired last night so left a short reply. I actually find benzos make me pretty mindful I joke, but yeah I've said before that we in the West have grown up in such a toxic culture that it's pretty much impossible to be like a Buddhist monk or something (unless you're EXTREMELY devoted like Tara Brach and the like). So you do the best you can with the cards you've been dealt, and if you need benzos or whatever to get through the night then so be it. I've done a ton of reading on Eastern religions and even saw the current Dalai Lama in 1995, and still take SSRIs AND benzos to ward off my cravings for alcohol.

Technically benzos might affect the same neurotransmitters that mindfulness practice affects but what we currently know about the brain is just the tip of the iceberg. The main thing is the overall effect. Kind of what Ponder said.

Take it easy BB (I still have to resend that email!)

Gypsy x

Thanks for your support

Got your mail but having trouble sending a reply. Will do a pm in case you never received it

BB

Got it thanks

Does it cite any studies? I had a quick look on some medical sites and couldn't find anything conclusive that suggests benzos significantly reduce the effects of mindfulness.

If your experience has been positive, go by that! If there is any contradiction, it's probably minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by martin05 View Post
    Does it cite any studies? I had a quick look on some medical sites and couldn't find anything conclusive that suggests benzos significantly reduce the effects of mindfulness.

If your experience has been positive, go by that! If there is any contradiction, it's probably minimal.
    Thanks Martin your comment helps me a lot

It was some study mentioned briefly near the end of the Rewire Anxious Brain book. Cant remember date or names but if you could find nothing I feel much reassured.

BB