Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Drinking while on medication

Hey everyone,

I'm debating on going to a psychiatrist to see if I can get on some sort of anxiety medication. One thing that's stopping me is the thought of possibly not being able to drink while on medication. FWIW, my therapist said she wouldn't recommend anything too strong.

I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but I just like to drink socially. I've been really lonely but have recently met some cool friends, and I feel like my social life would virtually disappear if I don't drink, and that's a huge problem and will make my life worse.

I've read some things about drinking while on medication, and it seems to be not recommended. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences. Is it just "doctor speak" so to say. I mean, will there be some minor side effects or will I just black out all the time or something?

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks

Hey there,

I have a fair bit of experience drinking with medication (I drank with anything and everything). I guess the biggest problem with drinking and the SSRIs is it compromises how effective the medication is. Drinking with benzos will increase the effects.

Although alcohol is not great for anxiety you don't have to justify wanting to drink Some people can drink in moderation and some can't eg. Me.

Cheers,
    Gypsy x
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

Haha nobody's gonna stop being your friend over alcohol unless you take theirs You could use this as an opportunity to relax a bit from drinks while you try out the medication for like a half a month

P100

At times it's been ok for me, at times it hasn't.

You won't black out if you're taking a standard SSRI. But you might find it exacerbates your symptoms, or makes you feel a little dizzy or sick.

Go slow, and see how you feel.

From my experience the two don't go together. From the writing on the bottle the two don't go together. Generally most doctors will tell to the two don't go together. It's like going on a weight loss diet whilst buying custard tarts every couple of days telling yourself it's OK - I'm just a social eater.

It's the build up of both over time and not just the doses you take. More to do with regularity which is what social consumption is; regular. Generally what happens is social drinkers who drink whilst on meds, will typically be the first to up their doses when compared to those who don't drink at all. Just as those who consume unhealthy sources of food will also derive less benefit from their meds compared to those living a more conducive lifestyle who then comparatively get the more from their meds - usually requiring lower doses.

Some individuals are quite good at balancing these facts, however there are those with mental & genetic conditions that make the that process quite a struggle ... then of course there is also the physiological differences that can further complicate things for some/many. For the most part we generally kid ourselves when it comes to facing the discomfort of cravings Vs the comfort of partaking. Socail eating is as much an issue as social drinking. Both have the potential to negate the medications one is taking. Again ... it's a balance thing.

Experiment. Try a number of routes and take your time being sure to listen to your body. It's not something you can gauge from how you feel when you wake up the next morning. It takes months and even years + also requires a certain level of health in order to "feel" your way through the conundrum of mixing meds, unhealthy foods and alcohol. Not withstanding all the other factors that play into healthy living Vs sedentary indoor existing.

That said ... if you can do both ... then more's the power to you!!!
    Last edited by Ponder; 07-18-2017 at 05:18 AM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/