Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.

Unhappy empty nest anxiety

Hello everyone. I am 43 almost 44 and my anxiety/panic attacks just recently started. I hate this feeling. I want to attack this feeling and do everything I can do getting back to what I perceive to be normal. I miss my kids when they were younger and now I'm prepping for my daughter to go to college in a couple of years and my son has about 5 years to go. This thought of everything changing and them growing up and me getting old has been hard on me. I can't even look at old pictures without having an episode. If anyone is going through this, please let me know and I would love to talk to you to see how you are dealing with these upcoming changes in your lives.

Ashish

avaidya, I can very much understand this sort of feeling. For me it is a sort of doom, although I'm sure everything is going to be just fine. The fact that you feel this way shows just how much you care, and that sort of energy always shows. Know that you yourself won't have to change into someone else. I like to think of it as just another day, with some newfound little adventures! Like when you go to decide to go to Disney in a week - be excited! Your babies need you to be strong for them still, and I am certain that they will always be your angels, as you are still their parent, and that is static.

Thank you. I love my kids but they are also my weakness. I am trying to be strong for them but seeing them and helping them grow up to be good people is hard because I miss them when they were younger. My dad recently told me that I need to fight that feeling and remember all of the good times we shared and how I felt during those times.

Quote Originally Posted by iwanttobeok View Post
    avaidya, I can very much understand this sort of feeling. For me it is a sort of doom, although I'm sure everything is going to be just fine. The fact that you feel this way shows just how much you care, and that sort of energy always shows. Know that you yourself won't have to change into someone else. I like to think of it as just another day, with some newfound little adventures! Like when you go to decide to go to Disney in a week - be excited! Your babies need you to be strong for them still, and I am certain that they will always be your angels, as you are still their parent, and that is static.

That is indeed good advice Perhaps you could have a heart to heart with them when they get older about your feelings and you'll see that you will feel a lot better.