Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the encouraging words Boo Bass.
    In the next 2 months I hope that lung meds kick in because I really do want to avoid having a permanent iv line put in to administer meds 24/7 via a pump, or a lung transplant. Either way, you are right, this too shall pass: everything in life does pass.
    Take Care
    Barbara

Thanks Anne 1221
    I am glad the benzo's keep working for you. I can relate to your "addiction"..... I love sweets, especially anything with custard, and LOVE peppermint chocolate! (or chocolate in general!).

Hi Barbara

On another forum nomorepanic is a guy calle panic down under. His hobby is researching psychotropic drugs. He knows a lot. He had a lung removed. Might be worth your while joining. He is kinda arrogant but helpful.

BB

Thanks Boo Bass
    I believe panic down under had a few posts here too

Quote Originally Posted by barbimay View Post
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I have come across two schools of thought...One doctor (GP here in Australia, or Primary care physician overseas), believes that ativan, given my health issues, is better tolerated and easier to get off than taking something like abilify. He hasn't had a patient have serious problems stopping it, but has had patients have trouble coming off abilify. On the other hand a psychiatrist I visited thinks abilify (he didnt prescribe this for me) is better than ativan for long term use and can be stopped easier than ativan! Confused! Dahila I think my doctor thinks along your lines. He says that given the seriousness and complexity of my health problems, getting addicted to ativan is the least of my problems!
    Interesting - even the professionals have different opinions. Benzos are addictive but anti-psychotics make you feel horrible after a while. None of them are as potent as alcohol though so I always tell myself I'm doing ok if I'm not drinking.
    "You're the worst thing that ever happened to me." --Marla Singer

The reason antipsychotics are known to cause movement disorders is because they affect dopamine receptors in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter responsible for movement among many other things. Antipsychotics - both typical and atypical tend to act as dopamine antagonists which blocks the effect of dopamine on certain receptors. Some antipsychotics are partial dopamine agonists (increasing dopamine activity). Regardless of the mechanism of action, modulation of dopamine in the long-term can affect movement. Antipsychotics can provide reduced feelings of anxiety, symptoms of psychosis, etc. however in the long term it can affect an individual's movement. The best use of antipsychotics to treat anxiety is typically when they are used to augment the effects of SSRIs. However, it is not advisable for patients who are not suffering from psychosis to take antipsychotics as long-term treatment.

In regards to benzodiazepines: they are highly effective in the treatment of severe, acute anxiety but the reason they get such a horrible reputation is because of the addiction/dependence risk. However one statistic that most psychiatrists and pharmacists will not share with you is that most of the individuals addicted to benzodiazepines are also addicted to other central nervous system depressants such as opioids or alcohol. Benzodiazepine addiction almost always occurs as a result of cross-tolerance. It is rare for someone who has a diagnosable anxiety disorder to become addicted to benzos alone. That is why there are quite a few posters on here that have taken them for several years with no ill effects. Myself included. I've been on 0.5 mg for Klonopin for three years, and there is no sign of addiction or dependence. I use it on an as needed basis and it helps every time.

I hope I was helpful.
    Last edited by Two One; 07-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Two one thanks for the post I am on 0.5 Klonoping aka clonazepam for at least 5 years and do not need to up my dose, In my situation it is the medication that does not interfere with others pill I have to take . Nice to see you posting again
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Bares keeping in mind that the term addiction is another word for dependency. Many of these drugs keep individuals dependent on the chemicals they are taking as well as make them predestined for the taking of others; typically to counter the long term side effects which manifest as physical illness. Of course it all comes down to the lessor to two evils. End result is that indeed many individuals taking medicines of whatever sort for whatever reason end up dependent on quite a variety of drugs.

If it helps to avoid pain without creating more discomfort then that's got to be a good thing. I guess it's more a case at where people are at and what your willing to live with.
    Last edited by Ponder; 07-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    "...the cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation" ~ Terrance McKenna → https://pondermovedhere.blogspot.com/

It is very individual D. After such long life with anxiety, I can not do without a little bit of meds. Do you think I like it , No. I hate taking my BP meds and my Metformin but it is is a must .............I wish I had not taken anything...
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore