Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Driving 468x60
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    -Knowledge 4-

When I first started discussing knowledge, I agree with it being power. Why? Knowledge is an incredible resource that can get us so far ahead. When we see many people who are unhappy with their lives or struggle with challenges, we have to wonder why that's the case. I believe they simply lost sight on this incredible resource that can be the difference maker between a great life and a mediocre one.

Nowadays, people are so easily blinded by the need for material things. It's easy to be caught up when we have the entertainment industry and so many other aspects of society promoting the idea that money equals happiness. I've even heard an advertisement where someone claims that one can buy happiness if they knew where to shop. Such a notion is so silly but, sadly, many people actually believe that.

The problem with material things is that they come and go. Money can exchange hands very easily, especially with credit cards nowadays where money seem to vanish very quickly as soon as we start paying bills. A large portion of Canadians have enormous credit card debts among with other things so they basically spend much of their lives being slaves to those debts.

Knowledge is different in that we cannot exchange it. We can have debates and make videos but none of these guarantee a person will acquire the knowledge. Remember that a person might be great with facts but understanding the facts to the point one can apply it to his or her life is completely different. Too many people, with the false impression their information equals knowledge, think they're ready to tackle the material things in life.

Until people surround themselves with valuable knowledge, they are doomed to fail or, in the best case scenario, achieve mediocrity. Our society is a cruel place and there's a reason why only a small portion become the very wealthy and an equally small portion are truly happy and fulfilled with their lives. Note that not all the very wealthy are necessarily in the second group. Like I said before, money won't bring happiness and that can be seen over and over in life.

One of the biggest examples is lotteries. There are people who win lotteries but their lives didn't change. It didn't take long for them to return to their lives before winning assuming it didn't get worse. These people might have gotten a ton of money but they don't have the knowledge to make effective use of this money. That's why we cannot neglect knowledge as money without knowledge will disappear as quickly as it appears.

-Knowledge 5-

During our darkest days, knowledge might be the only thing we have left. We might lose all our money, our homes and maybe even our family members. Life can be cruel at times so there's no need to sugarcoat it at all. It's only during these cruelest moments of our life that we learn what's truly valuable and what we should treasure for the rest of our lives.

We all heard stories of someone losing some dear and regretting afterwards only to find out it's too late. That's the truth about knowledge. We can gain knowledge when we are relatively comfortable. For most people, they won't choose a book over a meal when they are starving and are homeless. We don't expect them to pursue knowledge, at least not through a book, when they are in a state where they have enough problems in their lives.

Yet, most of us are fortunate enough to not have those issues. We or our family has some sort of income and we can afford things like phones, laptops and books. When we ask most of these people if they buy books or read E-books online, the general answer is either no or very rarely. If we don't take advantage of our luxurious environment to gain knowledge, then we will soon learn the hard way how the lack of knowledge will hurt us.

It's true that tragedies won't happen to all of us but hardships will arrive, often in forms we least expect them too. The economy might fail and the housing bubble burst. A family member might have gotten into severe debt due to dealing with loan sharks. Some terrible illness suddenly struck a loved one and much of one's savings must be spent at the hospital. All of these can have drastic impact on people as they can change people's lives permanently.

In the scenario where a person loses everyone, everything and become homeless. What happens if this person acquired knowledge before this unfortunate development? No one can take away knowledge so, naturally, this person got to keep all of it. The knowledge might take time to be utilized but it will get the person back on his or her feet because he or she have all the tools to get further ahead and only needed more time and hard work to get there.

Being poor is never a crime and many of those who got out of poverty did so through knowledge. They have seen things and experienced things that taught them how the world works. They don't necessarily need to graduate from higher education. Some might have never even finished high school. Yet, they learned what to absorb so they can use it later in life. It's only through knowledge can we get further ahead in life and no knowledge can be gained without sacrifices made along the way.

-Knowledge 6-

One of the biggest mistakes people seem to make is stop pursuing knowledge after a certain age. They believe that they can only pursue knowledge at school and when they're young. Once they reached a certain age, they have gained enough to get through rest of their lives. This is often why many people suddenly find themselves struggling to retire as the ever changing world catches them unaware.

The world can change very rapidly and we have seen this over the last two decades. Amazing progress have been made in all technological advances and, with the improvements of computers and AI, we can only expect the progress forward to speed up more. For people to adapt and thrive in this sort of environment, one must ensure they are up to date and prepare to make changes wherever necessary.

The job markets have changed, especially with automation becoming a norm for certain jobs. This only makes knowledge all the more powerful because manual labor can be done by robots while jobs requiring thoughts and problem solving are still done by humans. In addition, people are needed to repair and maintain robots, tasks we cannot expect someone to know without learning.

While it's true that people learn slower as they age, that doesn't mean they cannot learn at all. It might take longer but it's never a bad idea to be better adapted. Books are probably the best way for the slightly older generations as these are best associated with how they learned before. E-books also make it much easier to acquire information without the need to find and purchase multiple books.

Regardless of what age we are or what situation we are in, knowledge can be exceptionally helpful in getting us to a certain scenario in life. We must never stop pursuing as being ignorant only hinders our progress. Knowledge, of course, isn't information alone but something we can make use of very easily to apply to the respective application. With our technological advances, knowledge only has a greater role to play in our pursuit of success, happiness and fulfillment.

-Passion-

We've all heard that we should be passionate about what we do, particularly in something we do for a living. If we can turn something we live, is it still considered work? The answer is yes and no. The start, like everything in life, is the difficult part. Our dreams don't happen overnight so, naturally, a job that incorporates what we love doesn't either.

When we pursue a "safe" path, we are running the risk of going something we don't love. We might force ourselves to enjoy it but it really shows in our career once we've been doing something for a decade or two decades. I simply cannot imagine someone investing that much time doing something they hate when I cannot even handle a year of a job I dislike greatly.

We mustn't forget that, to rise up in ranks for a career we don't enjoy, we have to invest a lot of time, work and money. Most of these careers require a degree of some sort which sees the person stuck in school for at least two years after graduating from high school. If the time at school wasn't enjoyable, it's a good indication of how the person will feel later in life doing the same thing for a living.

Let's not forget that, after getting the degree, there's no guarantee this person will be working in this field. There's too many variables in the equations to be gambling how one's future might end up. If a person is willing to take a chance with education and a field they may or may not like, then he or she should definitely consider something he or she is passionate about so the odds of success is higher.

Why are the odds of success higher? When we plan what we want to do, we look into the future at the possible scenarios we might face. In a scenario where we do what we love and enjoy every minute of it, we'd have a lot more drive and push a little harder. Drive alone won't get us there but every little push helps move us closer and a slight edge might be a difference between a dream reached and a dream given up forever.

-Passion 2-

Passion can be a powerful driving force to get us to our dreams. Yet, it's easy for us to confuse certain emotions with passion. I'm sure many people reading this had moments in their lives where they saw something on television or internet that got their interest. They suddenly got this urge to do it because they believe they have found their passion and dream.

What ends up happening is the person loses interest after awhile and nothing gets done. However, the impact of this experience sees this person less certain about passion. He or she might start doubting passion being the key to success. The truth lies in the fact that they weren't passionate about this thing. Passion doesn't happen overnight or in a split moment. It's something that's cultivated over time.

How do we discover our passion then? We first must discover who we are. Too many of us don't know who we truly are and what we truly want. We say things to impress others or meet other people's expectations. We are living this illusion which we believe is ourselves. Naturally, whatever passion the person we're acting as doesn't suit us and we often learn later on since our heart never lies about what it enjoys and what it hates.

Regardless of what masks we put on, there are things we thoroughly enjoy. There are certain hobbies we have because we love doing it. When someone asks us why we love it, we have no way of explaining it. I think that true passion cannot be described by words. There's a feeling within us that's as strong as instinct so we cannot simply ignore it. If we suppress this feeling, we'd always have this voice calling for us and it only gets louder the older we get.

When I say that I believe people should follow their passion, I meant true passion. Sudden urges aren't passions because they go as quickly as they came. Passion is cultivated over years or decades because a certain thing attracts us in ways nothing else can compare. Yet, we must still remember that even the best cultivated passion cannot grow into anything with hard work and perseverance.

-Passion 3-

Passion is so powerful because it's not something everybody can acquire. In our society, we have a pretty big emphasis on making money so, generally, people are pursuing money. Oftentimes, they sacrifice their hopes and dreams to accomplish this. There are many people who lie to themselves as they try to convince themselves and others that what they're doing was what they wanted all along.

For those who follow their true passion, they don't need to deceive themselves everyday. They don't need to do pep talks with themselves each morning before work. They look forward to whatever work they're doing and vacation is something that's never on their mind. Those who followed their true passion don't need an alarm clock to get up because they are eager to start each day early doing what they love.

It's also true that their true passion doesn't come easily. It becomes a reality through hard work and hardships. Luckily, people in the western world are quite fortunate in where they live. Their daily lives pale in comparison with those who live in a third world country or in a nation engulfed in a war. I personally think that no one in first world countries have any excuses explaining why they cannot pursue their true passions.

I was ungrateful once. I didn't know how fortunate I was with the life I was living where I had access to electricity, internet, food and shelter. I didn't have to worry about my next meal and there are job opportunities that can keep me from starving. I also have parents who can provide me to a certain extent. What excuses can I come up with compared to those in a war torn country?

There is much in western society that sees us with more predispositions to mental illness compared to third world countries. (medication stats are off the charts!) A lot of the 'third world' countries are not as poor or as sick as our western doctrine would have us beleive. In fact they are far richer than we can ever hope to be. In the west we need pep talks to overcome the addictions of 24/7 comfort that keep us from seeing the so called 'truth' that only we 'ourselves' can come to truly know. It's not something that can be read or told.

The only third world countries we should be concerned about are those which the west infect with their ideals: (+ those that reside within our own boundaries - go figure)

Those torn countries are often left in worse condition after cleaning up the mess from the intervention to begin with. As for internet ... many third world countries have a better connection than we do here in Australia. We often joke about that; because it's often true. There are millions upon million of people in the west living out of cars and in cardboard boxes who don't know where their next meal is coming from.

It's great that your doing well man ... but I have to lay out the cards from another perspective when it comes to calling the 'Third World Country' card.

Fortune is not something that is currently being made in the west. I beg to differ and I know many others would as well.

Passion? It can come just as easily through acceptance and giving up all that hard work and clinging to suffering. The west does not learn from suffering ... it creates suffering then goes out to conquer it. They do it with their army, education system, work force and then deny the existence of their own byproduct by highlighting suffering elsewhere in the world ... exacerbated by their own intervention.

Alas ... glad your doing well.
    Last edited by Ponder; 11-05-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    There is much in western society that sees us with more predispositions to mental illness compared to third world countries. (medication stats are off the charts!) A lot of the 'third world' countries are not as poor or as sick as our western doctrine would have us beleive. In fact they are far richer than we can ever hope to be. In the west we need pep talks to overcome the addictions of 24/7 comfort that keep us from seeing the so called 'truth' that only we 'ourselves' can come to truly know. It's not something that can be read or told.

The only third world countries we should be concerned about are those which the west infect with their ideals: (+ those that reside within our own boundaries - go figure)

Those torn countries are often left in worse condition after cleaning up the mess from the intervention to begin with. As for internet ... many third world countries have a better connection than we do here in Australia. We often joke about that; because it's often true. There are millions upon million of people in the west living out of cars and in cardboard boxes who don't know where their next meal is coming from.

It's great that your doing well man ... but I have to lay out the cards from another perspective when it comes to calling the 'Third World Country' card.

Fortune is not something that is currently being made in the west. I beg to differ and I know many others would as well.

Passion? It can come just as easily through acceptance and giving up all that hard work and clinging to suffering. The west does not learn from suffering ... it creates suffering then goes out to conquer it. They do it with their army, education system, work force and then deny the existence of their own byproduct by highlighting suffering elsewhere in the world ... exacerbated by their own intervention.

Alas ... glad your doing well.
    I do agree that third world countries are getting richer but I still believe there's some ways to go before their poorest can even come close to the poorest in western countries. Here in Canada, the homeless have food banks and salvation army to give them a hand. The poorest in third world have it much tougher and I'm generally referring to them. Though, I should clarify when I refer to them.

The west is suffering a lot of problems and they're not making use of the wealth their predecessors left for them. It's sad to see how the west is crumbling but, if history is any indication, this is normal.

-Realistic-

In our lives, we all experience situations where people tell us to make realistic goals and realistic dreams. We shouldn't be dreamers and do crazy things. I heard this countless time and had agreed to it for a long time. Yet, times have changed and, after experiencing some lessons taught to me by life itself, I began to hate it when people tell me to be realistic with my future.

After all, what do they mean by realistic? Whose standard is this realistic based upon? What is realistic to one person might be unrealistic for another person. I'm a pretty skinny guy so it's unrealistic to see me lifting weights like I do it regularly. For those training for years, it's realistic for them. Until we define what's meant by realistic, we are basically sending the wrong message to people.

We each have our strengths and weaknesses so a vague term like realistic simply doesn't work. Our society has a mold which is considered realistic for everyone. We go to school, get a degree and then get a job. This is the most realistic view our society promotes, especially through our schools. Anything that strays from this path is unrealistic and frowned upon.

We must remember that not everyone can study and do well in exams. I'm one of those people who can do alright but it's not how I learn. The way schools teach and test are probably the worst match for me. On the contrary, I learn best with things I enjoy and I self teach myself. With my YouTube channel and website, I learn from guides online and obtained more useful things than what I can grasp from my lectures.

This is likely the case for many other people where the school environment doesn't suit them. They cannot sit still and need other ways of learning which is why our schools must diversify how classes are taught. If we use the same standards for all students, some will fail since they cannot excel in such an environment. This is especially bad for the newer generations who, after failing, get the idea they are stupid and worthless.

I was fortunate to learn from experience that I'm not stupid and worthless. I've merely been pursuing the wrong path and stumbled every bit of the way. I'm charting a proper course now and would have been on the way long ago if schools were so terribly structured and forcing its students into a mold. I have learned that the realistic expectations, goals and dreams society expect of us don't suit me so I'll walk my own path!

It's not the difference in standards that worries me, but the current standards themselves that our society uses to measure a persons worth.

Thanks for the well thought out reply. Yep ... it's good to walk a path of our own choosing.