Welcome to the Anxiety Forum - A Home for Those with Anxiety, Fear, or Panic Attacks.
Panic 468x60
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Hi, my name's Dave and I'm an addict. It runs deep on many lvls.

Nice to see you back Rick. Nice write up as always.

I have an addictive personality, but each of my addition is gone, new are born but not that often lately. Must be age. I am probably addicted to time on my computer and researching. I get very, very upset when someone interrupts
    the worst addition i had was smoking, ten years of trying to quit, finally I had done it, It is 8 almost nine years I am smoker who does not smoke.
    Another fantastic subject Rick.
    Maybe people will talk about it, Nothing shameful to have addiction. All of us have some
    Shame is not to try to control it
    Last edited by Dahila; 01-15-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    ''“If you cry because the sun has gone out of your life, your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.”
    ''
    ― Rabindranath Tagore

Well said D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponder View Post
    Hi, my name's Dave and I'm an addict. It runs deep on many lvls.

Nice to see you back Rick. Nice write up as always.
    I never really left! Just come here less often. As for being an addict, I think we're all addicted to something regardless of whether we admit it or not. It's just a difference of what we're addicted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
    I have an addictive personality, but each of my addition is gone, new are born but not that often lately. Must be age. I am probably addicted to time on my computer and researching. I get very, very upset when someone interrupts
    the worst addition i had was smoking, ten years of trying to quit, finally I had done it, It is 8 almost nine years I am smoker who does not smoke.
    Another fantastic subject Rick.
    Maybe people will talk about it, Nothing shameful to have addiction. All of us have some
    Shame is not to try to control it
    Thanks! We all have addictions and some just don't seem as apparent as drugs and smoking. In a way, our habits are addictions since we do them regularly. Of course, there's nothing wrong with being addicted to good things as long as we don't overdo it.

-Addiction 2-

Oftentimes, the things we are addicted to happen to be bad for us since we do such things in excess. Drugs and gambling can both be harmless if we just tried it once and say it's not for us. However, addiction makes us revisit them and, to satisfying the addiction, we do everything in our power to get a taste of it. The issue with addiction is that we need a larger exposure each time to get the same amount of satisfaction.

When I was growing up, computer games were just starting to get very popular. There were larger varieties of games and machines were getting stronger making newer and better games accessible. In a way, I was addicted to gaming because I enjoyed staying in front of the computer for numerous hours with no intention of getting off unless my parents told me so.

Now that I look back, I could see why I was addicted to games. This might not be the case for others but I liked escaping reality. I was a loner then and had very little to occupy my time. I haven't developed any hobbies and, overall, I was a shy person living a pretty recluse lifestyle. I did go to school but there was nothing waiting for me after school except for some activities my parents signed me up to.

Compared to my real life, games seemed like a portal to incredible new worlds. There was so much to explore and I found myself being a character I never can be in real life. Do I want to be the hero who saves the world? Do I want to travel to foreign lands or other planets filled with alien lifeforms? These were all made possible by the games I played and they drew me in like nothing else.